Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 AM

Default What\'s something that\'s low risk and easily liquidiable? Mutual funds?

I'm gonna get $30k to purchase a car, and I want to invest it until I find a steal.

What route should I take? Mutual funds? Index funds?

Vanguard?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: What\'s something that\'s low risk and easily liquidiable? Mutual fu

If you need the money in a short amount of time, and are at all adverse to losing any of it...then do not put it in mutual or index funds. You need to put it in a interest bearing savings account or a 3-6month CD depending on when you need the money. With a mutual or index fund you could easily lose a sizable percentage in a short amount of time.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: What\'s something that\'s low risk and easily liquidiable? Mutual fu

I would echo what jjscott said. I don't think that putting money you will need in the near term should be invested in mutual funds, I like at least 2 years(preferably 20)for mutual fund investing to shake out the natural peaks and valleys in the market. Vanguard does have a money market account with a yield of 5.13% with a $3000 min investment that you can write checks on. It's called Prime money market fund.