Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

View Poll Results: Would you ever flat call (not all-in) with aces preflop?
Yes, it is a common play in my arsenal and I do it very often. 5 8.62%
Yes, in certain situations or against certain opponents. I do it fairly regularly. 7 12.07%
Yes, but it is a very situation- and opponent-dependant play and I rarely use it. 37 63.79%
No, but I wouldn't rule it out if the perfect situation arose 8 13.79%
No, and I believe that it is always wrong. 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Is this an angle or am I a nit?

If new chips were to start showing up every couple of hands I'd think it was an angle, especially if he sits down with whites & redbirds and then blacks and greens start showing up.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think we're mis-understanding the term NIT.

NIT is kinda/sorta a synonym for a rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. That is your definition. It is not the 'historical' definition used in poker.
For years, it meant someone who 'nit-picked' the rules, etc. Asked for change of decks or set-ups. Screamed for a player to be picked up when they had been gone 30 minutes and one second.
Quite often their play was of the tight nature you describe.
So when many of the new players into the game saw Bill called a 'nit', they thought it referred to his style of play. And many now think that is what it means. It does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just mine:

http://www.pokertips.org/glossary/w/NIT

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats their definition, then you should never visit that website again, its wrong. See Angus above, he has got it right. Yes many nitty players are also rocks, but a rock doesnt have to be a nit.

ps: I think rocks are a dying breed, even they have adjusted to the increased amount of action we all see now.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM

I'll jump in with my "me too" and agree that NIT has nothing to do with tight or loose, passive or aggressive.

As for "is this an angle"... Players are allowed to top their stacks between hands. Doing so is not an angle. Doing so with the intent of hiding the new chips, however, is an angle. And this is why many poker rooms limit the size of chips they allow to play in various games. MGM and IP and probably others in Vegas simply do not allow black or green chips into the NL1/2 game. They don't play. That keeps you from hiding a black chip on the bottom of or behind a wall of reds and whites.

I can't tell from the original tale if the guy was trying to hide big chips or not. Topping up your stack: Not an angle. Hiding big chips: Definitely an angle.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think we're mis-understanding the term NIT.

NIT is kinda/sorta a synonym for a rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. That is your definition. It is not the 'historical' definition used in poker.
For years, it meant someone who 'nit-picked' the rules, etc. Asked for change of decks or set-ups. Screamed for a player to be picked up when they had been gone 30 minutes and one second.
Quite often their play was of the tight nature you describe.
So when many of the new players into the game saw Bill called a 'nit', they thought it referred to his style of play. And many now think that is what it means. It does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just mine:

http://www.pokertips.org/glossary/w/NIT

By Definition:

Nit
Poker Glossary

Also known as Rock.

A nit is a tight-passive player that avoids confrontations. Typically, the term nit is used when this type of passive player plays in a pot-limit or no-limit game. Nits tend to avoid big pots and do not like to gamble.

See also Passive, Tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a nit.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Because of the way he had his chips stacked, nobody but me could see the chips he was introducing. It really looked to me like he wanted to get a big stack AI against him when they didn't understand the stack sizes.

After racking out, I talked to another regular and apparently this guy is known for laying his chips strangely and adding chips to his stack.

I was convinced at the time the guy was angling and not good to play with, but except for organizing his chips incorrectly he wasn't breaking any rules that I could see.