Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Default General Strategy Qustion: BB reraise with AQs, why is this profitable?

[ QUOTE ]
Villian [button] sucks. I just set down but he is just generally not good. Very Loose and Dumb, not overly agressive. (Saying this from only 20 hands).

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $446.50
Button: $370.50
SB: $213
Hero: $400

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $16</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $70</font>, UTG ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this hand in MSNL. Everyone in this post's thread pretty much agrees that reraising preflop is completely standard for hero in the BB with AQs. It's so standard, that my question about why it's standard is not really a MSNL question.

[ QUOTE ]

Basically here you want me to explain you my whole poker stratgery, this would take a whole book.

Raising here for me is hugly profitable PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
... when you make your first internet poker deposit you will realize how good players play aggressively preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, since this really is a pretty basic concept of NL, I was hoping that this might be a better small stakes NLHE question.

Specifically, what makes reraising from the BB with AQs best when there is a UTG raise, a button call, and 100+ bb stacks at on-line 6-max? And does this standard play become less standard at on-line 10-handed or live 9-handed with the same stacks and action? Why?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: General Strategy Qustion: BB reraise with AQs, why is this profita

i'm not going to read all the stuff here but it's a good idea because we take it down ofter rather than playing a pot OOP, plus we have a solid hand, we want initiative and if we just reraise AA/KK here then it's a simple fold every single time we do it. if we open it up it makes it harder to play against us.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM

I asked a similar question in micro last night. You might want to spur the discussion on there. It seems to be a pretty common move with AQ. I think it works as a good semi-bluff: you fold out a lot of hands (stealing 5 BB from the pot) and have a decent chance to make top pair when you are called.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Generally speaking when you move up to MSNL the pots will become smaller, because the regulars aren't paying you off as much. If you're only 3-betting with hands like AA, KK, and AK, your reraising range is ridiculously easy to read and alot of a profit will go down the drain. Occasionally reraising preflop with weaker hands (but not total garbage) against observant opponents helps to mask the times you have a big pair.

Of course, at SSNL, since the opposition is usually much weaker, you don't need to do this as much (i.e. 3-betting an UTG raise with AQs). Most of the time, several SSNL players aren't even paying attention to your ranges, let alone knowing what a range is.

But, like anything else in poker, it depends.