Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Hand Selection in 6-handed LO8

How ought one adjust his hand selection, in general, for short-handed Limit Omaha 8 games? Assume the game is low stakes ($5/$10 and below) and fairly loose.

Do non-nut lows gain some value? I imagine that decent low-only hands (eg A23x unsuited) probably lose some value short-handed. Should good high only hands (eg AKQJ suited) be raised a little more liberally than at a full table?

Just looking for general tips.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Hand Selection in 6-handed LO8

Do non-nut lows gain some value: obviously. If you wait around for A2 your gonna go broke real quick. A23 loses some value but at the same time it gains value. comfused?
Lets say that you are playing in a 9 handed game, A223 even w/o suits is a great hand because you cannot be counterfeited easily for the low and it will be nut. In this case the more people in preflop and drawing to worse lows the better.
Now lets say that your playing 6 handed. A223 is still a great hand, but A2QT is MUCH better, so is AKJ3. THe problem here with A223 is that while it is worth playing, even when you make the low, your only ever gonna get called down with a better high or a worse low that easily could have stumbled onto a better high than a pair of 22.
No, AKQJ is in many ways like A234 in that you benefit from more players and all calls preflop are purely skeptical. worth playing to be sure but usually for a limp (but mix it up)
Be much looser with your low hands that you call down with also as long as you have some scoop draw.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:06 AM

The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 AM

Thread has potential.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THIS is shorthanded LO8 advice you can take to the bank. Good stuff!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THIS is shorthanded LO8 advice you can take to the bank. Good stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this is some of the best advice for
playhing SH L08 I have seen. For playing any
SH game for that matter.