Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 AM

Default 10/20 Hand

The 2 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]iamond: brings-in $3 for low.
5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds.
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] folds.
6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls.
10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] calls.
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] calls.
3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds.
I call with [8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] .

Pot: $23

4th street:
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] checks.
I check with [8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] checks.
6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bets $10.
10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] folds.
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folds.
I raise to $20.
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folds.
6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls $10.
Pot: $63

5th Street:
He catches the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , showing 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] .
I catch the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , giving me [8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] .
Villain bets $20.
Hero: Fold, call, or raise? Pot: $83

Pending answer of call or raise, what are our contingency plans?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Hand

Fold. You are hoping he has Jacks and a 4-flush? Ha.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Probably should just call 4th. You are already heads up here. If you catch a scare card a raise on 5th is a lot scarier. You are heads up with a 4 flush or a pair plus overcard (maybe with a 3flush) most likely so you are either about even or behind a lot of the time.

On 5th, if you call 4th, it is easier to fold. I think it is also more reasonable for him to think trips in this case. You are either well behind or getting there if this is a reasonable player. I would lean towards fold unless you think he is so tight that you can blow him off the hand representing a bigger pocket pair in the hole.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably should just call 4th. You are already heads up here. If you catch a scare card a raise on 5th is a lot scarier. You are heads up with a 4 flush or a pair plus overcard (maybe with a 3flush) most likely so you are either about even or behind a lot of the time.

I agree 90% with the caveat that instead of check calling on 4th I would have bet out. I think that would have given you a better idea of where you stand. Also, 5th depends on your read of what this player would normally limp with 66x? 679? etc.

On 5th, if you call 4th, it is easier to fold. I think it is also more reasonable for him to think trips in this case. You are either well behind or getting there if this is a reasonable player. I would lean towards fold unless you think he is so tight that you can blow him off the hand representing a bigger pocket pair in the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2006, 03:19 PM

So no one here is considering a raise to represent trips?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So no one here is considering a raise to represent trips?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt quite say that. I said I think you can represent trips easier if you just call 4th. My thinking being that you have to be a little wild to raise with just a pr of 7s in his eyes, so when you just call and then pair your door on 5th, he would be more likely to fear trips. I think this would imply a raise. Also, if you raise open jacks, he should also consider the fact that you have jacks up beat....problem with the raise is that if he has jacks up he may very well go into call down mode and you will have to show down the best hand. OTOH you may be able to buy a free card if you dont improve.
A lot of what you do depends on how the opponent has been playing and what your image is at the table. If you think there is a good chance he will lay down his hand, well then go for the raise as that maximizes your chance of winning the hand. If you think he won't, then fold or try to draw out on him and put him on tilt [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 12:29 AM

I would probably just bet fourth. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with the check-raise. Fold fifth. You're either a little ahead or way behind. You can't have the other guy in bad shape.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Call 4th. Fold 5th. He likely either has jacks up or jacks and a 4 flush.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:22 AM

I check/fold 4th st.