Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Skype Bandwidth Question

Hi guys, I didn't know where to post this so I'm assuming this is the most logical place.

I go to penn state university where we have bandwidth restrictions (2.0 gigs downloadable and 2.0 gigs uploadable) per week, and had a question.

Recently I was contacted by someone as per a coaching deal, and he suggested we use skype. I was just wondering if using skype counted against my alloted bandwidth for either uploads or downloads (I'm not even sure which it would count towards), and if so would it just totally burn through my bandwidth?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Skype Bandwidth Question

Yes. The kind of traffic has no bearing on usage. They have the ability to monitor the bytes you send and receive.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. The kind of traffic has no bearing on usage. They have the ability to monitor the bytes you send and receive.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this means I'm totally [censored]?!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So this means I'm totally [censored]?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you get a good cell phone plan.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 AM

Not necessarily. Sorry for not expounding more on the rest of your questions.

It is slightly unlikely you will hit 2GB unless you are downloading a lot of pr0n. It is also highly unlikely you will hit 2GB just using Skype, browsing and playing Poker - unless you're doing it non-stop.

Plus, unless they have some kind of crazy proxy, they won't just shut you down if you exceed 2GB - they'll probably warn you first. Then you'll have an idea how much traffic you're generating doing what you are doing regularly. Most "kids" who go to college for the first time have no idea how much traffic they are generating - so I'm sure the abuse policy says you get warnings before they shut you down.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. Sorry for not expounding more on the rest of your questions.

It is slightly unlikely you will hit 2GB unless you are downloading a lot of pr0n. It is also highly unlikely you will hit 2GB just using Skype, browsing and playing Poker - unless you're doing it non-stop.

Plus, unless they have some kind of crazy proxy, they won't just shut you down if you exceed 2GB - they'll probably warn you first. Then you'll have an idea how much traffic you're generating doing what you are doing regularly. Most "kids" who go to college for the first time have no idea how much traffic they are generating - so I'm sure the abuse policy says you get warnings before they shut you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a related note, I just got my 2nd violation this semester. If I get a 3rd I'm relegated to 56k modem for the semester [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 01:09 AM

pr0n adds up fast, doesn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 02:03 AM

Yeah I already have a violation where I watched like no video. Anyway to answer your question first-hand: Before I came here I used to Skype with someone who was here and it definitely effected their bandwidth negatively at a pretty rapid rate. So tread carefully...maybe do it from like 2pm-3pm as a test and then check your bandwidth meter at 4:45 when it updates and see how much it effects your bandwidth used.

On a side note, the 2gb limit is horrible as is the awful slow speeds during any time from like 12pm-5pm.

EDIT: O yeah also just remembered...as an alternative you can go to the commons and use wireless there as that doesn't count against your bandwidth.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 AM

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do. Either go to the HUB or commons. I'm just gonna look like a huge douche with my headset :-P
Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's what I'm gonna do. Either go to the HUB or commons. I'm just gonna look like a huge douche with my headset :-P

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they'll think you're some hip computer guy who knows stuff and the hot chicks who are super clueless will come up to you asking how to find a file on their computer. That is, as long as you're not a dorky looking fug otherwise heh.

At least, thats my fantasy.........