Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which QB would you take for the rest of the season
Vick 0 0%
Rothlisburger 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Dim sum and other Cantonese food

Once I go home and speak with my girlfriend who was born in Hong Kong I will get you the cantonese name for everything. I am obviously not as versed as her but I have been exposed to all sorts of dishes. Just thought I would add to the convo.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just thought I would add to the convo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great! Feel free to write about some of those foods, and I'll add comments about them.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM

I've had frog legs as well (just trimmed and stir fried) no clue what the chinese name is. Never really liked shark's fin dumplings.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned a couple times over, although sticky rice was only brought up once. I'm bored so might as well post some, gonna be a slight hijack as most of this isn't cantonese.

Ma Po Doufu (think the english is the same) Sichuanese

Garcia's comments have been great so far so I'll let him elaborate if he wants.

This is one of my favorite sichuan dishes, basically tofu and beef or pork simmered in a spicy sauce. Done right it should beg for some rice to cut through the rich flavor and aggressive spice.

Mao shi hong shao rou (Chairman Mao's pork I think, srry my chinese is getting rusty)

Not sure how many restaurants serve this, but my grandmother makes it and its quite possibly the greatest thing ever.

Having trouble finding a good picture

This requires 'chinese style' pork belly (yeah i probably made that term up) but american pork is often too lean. I recall something about a 2/3 1/3 Meat/fat ratio being Mao's ideal.
In addition to the one pictured above (the reddish brown hue comes from nearly caramelized sugar) you can make it in an even more country fashion and just braise the pork belly in soy sauce and shaoxing.

Thats all for now, I'd like to aid in hijacking this thread towards the excellence that is random chinese bakeries but since I cant eat any of that [censored] til saturday it'll have to wait.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Another item at every place I go for dim sum is a sticky rice and either beef or sausage which is wrapped in a leaf and steamed. I do not know chinese name for that either.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had frog legs as well (just trimmed and stir fried) no clue what the chinese name is. Never really liked shark's fin dumplings.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned a couple times over, although sticky rice was only brought up once. I'm bored so might as well post some, gonna be a slight hijack as most of this isn't cantonese.

Ma Po Doufu (think the english is the same) Sichuanese

Garcia's comments have been great so far so I'll let him elaborate if he wants.

This is one of my favorite sichuan dishes, basically tofu and beef or pork simmered in a spicy sauce. Done right it should beg for some rice to cut through the rich flavor and aggressive spice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] mapo dofu. For those who make it at home, check out my recipe, any revisions or adjustments I should be making? (I learned from my Chinese ex-gf, this isn't from a cookbook or something.)

5 minced garlic cloves
2 tbs or so minced ginger
1/2lb to 1lb ground pork (depends on how porky you want it)
Soy Sauce / Sesame Oil
At least 2 tofu packages (medium) cubed
2 bunch scallions chopped
2 tbs cornstarch (maybe more)
Black Bean Hot Sauce - 5 tbs or to taste (can subsittue Har Har Sauce + fermented black beans)
Small bunch cilantro (totally optional, just my preference)

Saute garlic and ginger in soy sauce / oil before browning, add pork saute til browned about 3-5 minutes
Reduce heat, add tofu to the pork mixture, add tbs each of soy sauce, sesame oil (could add chili oil also even rice vinegar) and 5 tbs Black Bean Hot Sauce
Mix tofu and pork until tofu has lost a bit of water - several minutes
Mix cornstarch or other thickening agent w couple tbs water, slowly stir in to mixture - several minutes
Top with fresh scallions (reserve half) mix, continue to let simmer for 5 minutes or so.
Top with rest of scallions and cilantro
Serves 4

-Al
Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM

Al, looks good. I use a little (6oz maybe) stock in mine, fresh chiles and ground toasted sichuan peppercorns too. If I won't be eating it w/ rice I'd omit the chiles though. Try it with the sichuan peppercorns if you can, really adds to the dish.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Wu - cool dude, thanks, will def try with the sichuan peppercorns and stock. Actually I don't know why it never occurred to me to throw some stock in before, add some nice body and flavor.

-Al
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM

great thread. i disagree with some of the mischaracterizations of Sichuanese food but other than that, good stuff. PM me if you'd like my personal take on the food of Sichuan provence.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone in this thread actually Chinese? While most info is on the surface correct alot is being left out in regards to a real dim sum experience. As an example, the turnip cake is traditionally served with Oyster sauce which improves that taste of the dish considerably imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am Chinese but American born. I believe the turnip cake is generally served with hoisin or chili sauce, not oyster sauce.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Its always been oyster sauce (well something close to it) in my experience. My grandmother was trying to say it was worchestire sauce for a bit, but i think that might have been senility. Also Chinese american, so maybe its a regional thing here.