Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 03:30 PM

Default 80/160 AKo

Bellagio 80/160 from a couple of days ago. A passive but tightish (probably like 26/10/1) regular with a combover limps in EMP, another limper follows. The Button raises; the Button is a white guy in his 30s with a light beard ... he hasn't been involved in too many pots since I've sat, but I assume he's TAG. I 3-bet with AKo from the BB. The limpers call two cold and the Button calls. At the time I have a tight, aggressive, and winning table image.

Four to the flop of:

JT3 rainbow.

I bet out, combover calls, other limper folds, Button raises, I 3-bet, combover calls two cold, Button calls.

Turn is an offsuit 9.

I check, and it is checked around.

River is a small unpairing blank.

I bet.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: 80/160 AKo

What does the flop 3-bet accomplish? The TAGish button calls your preflop 3-bet and raises the flop. At this point in the hand I see no reason to 3-bet the flop. 3-betting only allows you to re-steal from AQ (as AK would cap preflop) if neither of you improve. It's more likely the Button has MP or better and he's showing this down with position.

As for the river, bleh. I wouldn't try bluffing out 2 people on the river after you checked the turn. What better hand are they folding? What worse hand is calling?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does the flop 3-bet accomplish? The TAGish button calls your preflop 3-bet and raises the flop. At this point in the hand I see no reason to 3-bet the flop. 3-betting only allows you to re-steal from AQ (as AK would cap preflop) if neither of you improve. It's more likely the Button has MP or better and he's showing this down with position.

As for the river, bleh. I wouldn't try bluffing out 2 people on the river after you checked the turn. What better hand are they folding? What worse hand is calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3-bet on the flop is meant to fold out Combover and either clean up outs or better yet fold out the leading hand and put myself back in the lead against Button hands like KQ, AQ, and 98s.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3-bet on the flop is meant to fold out Combover and either clean up outs or better yet fold out the leading hand and put myself back in the lead against Button hands like KQ, AQ, and 98s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Button has a piece of the board like 90% of the time or more here. 98s isn't likely to raise preflop when it can limp behind 2 limpers. AQ/KQ are less likely to raise this flop after you have 3-bet from the blinds because he knows he can get capped easily and if he's decent he would rather raise everyone on the expensive streets when he hits.

Except for KT/AT we don't really care if combover is still involved. And if the button already has us reverse dominated then we'd rather have combover in there supplementing us for when we hit our gutshot.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nate, i'd like to know your response to this, too.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nate, i'd like to know your response to this, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Combover should have exactly 98 here a lot (probably suited) and will almost surely fold it. I also don't think it's out of the question that he folds some kind of T. IMO my turn check represents either a reasonably strong hand that was scared of KQ, or perhaps even KQ itself that got tricky for its own good. It's hard for him to vision the AK in my hand here.

To be honest, I think the river kind of played itself ... big pot, both players had declined to bet the turn, my image was good... I didn't even take the time to analyze the situation compltely at the table because it was important IMO to bet in a natural tempo.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Combover should have exactly 98 here a lot (probably suited) and will almost surely fold it. I also don't think it's out of the question that he folds some kind of T. IMO my turn check represents either a reasonably strong hand that was scared of KQ, or perhaps even KQ itself that got tricky for its own good. It's hard for him to vision the AK in my hand here.

To be honest, I think the river kind of played itself ... big pot, both players had declined to bet the turn, my image was good... I didn't even take the time to analyze the situation compltely at the table because it was important IMO to bet in a natural tempo.

[/ QUOTE ]

but doesn't button's check almost always mean a weak made hand that wants to showdown and is afraid of a c/r on that turn?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but doesn't button's check almost always mean a weak made hand that wants to showdown and is afraid of a c/r on that turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't it mean a weak unmade hand like 98, AK, AQ?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why can't it mean a weak unmade hand like 98, AK, AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet with Two Cards from the BB. The limpers call two cold and the Button calls. At the time I have a tight, aggressive, and winning table image.

Four to the flop of:

JT3 rainbow.

I bet out, combover calls, other limper folds, Button raises, I 3-bet, combover calls two cold, Button calls.

Turn is an offsuit 9.

I check

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,

without knowing an exactly correct line for this hand in particular, which hands can I fill in "two cards" with above, given your preflop, flop, and turn action?