Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: ftp 25k ITM, 66 gets flatted by bb

My thinking was sort of along the lines of a few of you. I checked behind the flop because it is a spot where I'll often be check raised and have to fold. I knew bb was getting 3-1 preflop so is his range is fairly wide which made me feel that I'm going to have the best hand a large amount of the time, especially after the turn fell pairing the board.

I shoved it in on the turn. This is probably bad, I didn't really have any reads on him. I knew he was good so I'd expect a strong player to take a stab at the pot after the PFR shows weakness but I'm thinking calling and seeing a river might be the best line. Alot of the time I take that line though, the river will hit my opponent giving him the best hand and I'll wish that I had pushed him off of it. Is that flawed thinking? Is there more value in calling and seeing a river and then folding to a dangerous card, checking behind, or calling a brick?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With your preflop raise BB gets pot odds of 1:3! - so he can really call with ATC here, still getting the right odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to advocate this in a lot of your posts. I don't quite understand why. No one is calling this raise with ATC, unless the raiser is bad/maniac.

While people get the "correct" odds to call. At these late stages of tournaments people look at the absolute amount of the raise. i.e. "sure i'm getting 2.5:1, but do I want to just lose 4k more on this hand" most people fold. At these levels raises of 7-7.5k get the job done easily.

Stealing and re-stealing becomes the game here, so I think it's absolutly critical to raise small. If you get RRed you lose less. Your c-bets are smaller you risk less. While raising more PF may allow for the hand to play out easier, it is by no means the optimal play if you look at the over all goal of going deep and accumulating chips.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get RRed you lose less. Your c-bets are smaller you risk less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating a fold to a resteal here?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you get RRed you lose less. Your c-bets are smaller you risk less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating a fold to a resteal here?

[/ QUOTE ]

More of a general idea statement. The poster I had quoted, seems to advocated larger PF raises in these late tourney spots. I was just trying to understand why.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM

all in preflop ? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]