Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: TV cooking contest shows

Anyone watch Good Eats?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Katy,

Yes, Morgan's was the show I watched tonight. I think it's a new episode. There should be another one after it too.

PS: pics of blueberry pie plz.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 PM

Aw [censored] [censored] [censored]. Now I feel like an idiot. Turns out I DON'T get the damn BBC channel. It's on my info thingy but when I go to channel 173 I got nothing. God damn it anyway. How freaking disappointing. I guess I will call my cable company tomorrow and find out how much that one will cost to add. Pretty soon I will be over $100/month just on cable TV [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS: pics of blueberry pie plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will post pics if you promise not to laugh. I burnt my crust.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So it seemed to me the meat of this challenge wasn't so much the being a chef, but more the food science, and I don't think any of the contestants signed up for that. I mean, would the results have been close to the same if the judges had said, "Oh, you must IQF all your product?" As I said, maybe that's such a basic concept they should have done it anyway, but only two or three of the ten seemed even to consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make an excellent point. I can see how this was more a food science project rather than gourmet cooking. I can understand how people might be disappointed in that episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why I consider the sponsor-heavy orientation of this episode really bad. ANY of these chefs can easily make very good food. The real question was a silly one not germane to the question of what it means to be a chef or run a restaurant. It was a sort of "fake challenge" whose real subject was: Imply the importance and possible gourmet-level of the type of food our sponsor makes.

It's not important. This food is far from gourmet. And doing this is neither a chef nor a restauranteur's job.

What we have is basically an advertisement passed off as something else, and it did not improve the show or even keep it at its previous level.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone see Ramsay's show tonight? Those women were painfully annoying and had no [censored] clue how to do anything. That lady didn't even know how to buy fresh meat for Christ's sake. I can never understand why people open restaurants when they have no idea what they're doing. It's one of the toughest businesses to succeed in, and so many people treat restaurant management like it's just something they do in their spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dvr'd it & didn't get to it last night...may be Sunday before i see it, but looking forward to it. 'annoying' doesn't sound good though...oh well.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Ramsay's KM was really good last night. I didn't think he would pull it off this time as not only were the 3 women clueless, but so was the untrained head chef.

Last night I got 2 friends to watch the show for the first time...they both really liked it, and added it to their tivo list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone watch Good Eats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's not a cooking contest show. And "Scrap Iron Chef" doesn't count.

"The challenger's pork belly is delightful, almost like a haiku. The Iron Chef's is, well, crap."
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM

I missed Hell's Kitchen yesterday. I'm assuming Rock won? Could someone recap what happened?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM

I was surprised to find out it was not the finale -- they are stretching the finale into two shows. :P This one was just a cooking challenge, after a replay of show highlights from the season.

The challenge was to create a signature dish for a bunch of top Vegas chefs, in Vegas. Bonnie won, 4 to 3, with a pasta with shrimp and lobster; Rock had fried chicken on top of a crab cake. Odd. At first Bonnie racked up 3 in a row, but then I think people may have started feeling sorry for Rock, and he had a big crowd cheering for him. I have a feeling Bonnie might have gotten more votes if nobody had known who made the dishes. Btw, the last vote for Bonnie's dish was TWO guys, whose vote counted as one.

The show is really quite pleasant now. Ramsey seems to respect all involved, and we are spending more time with the last few finalists, all of whom come off very well as people in front of the camera. There's no real good guy or bad guy to root for here. It's pretty impossible not to wish both of these people well.

I suppose the main thing of interest in this week's show was that they brought in the old contestants as kitchen help for the challenge, and Julia could not stop crying. She said in front of everyone that being brought back for the show was her worst moment in the whole experience, which seems ungracious and pretty over the top. She seems to have forgotten that she really was only a short-order cook, and got very far. And that she got tremendously praised by Ramsey and is even going to have her culinary school paid for by the guy. I think she's did very well, but emotionally speaking is making the worst of some very good things happening to her. I lost a bit of respect for her, and maybe like her less now.

Funny was that in a private take with the camera, she said she wanted Rock to win, but Rock, when alternating picks for his team with Bonnie, said he didn't want her on his team because she looked like she was breaking down. Bonnie is the one who wound up picking her, when she was the second to last pick.

I enjoyed the episode, but feel a bit cheated by it not being the finale.