Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Rescue Dawn, why the ultra-limited release?

I was psyched to see this as soon as I knew it was going to be released. I was down in SE florida, not one theater was showing it. I am in NY now (long Isalnd) and the closest theater is in Queens. I am going back to the city in sunday and the it is only playing in ONE lame theater.

Anybody know the reasoning behind this?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Rescue Dawn, why the ultra-limited release?

"Anybody know the reasoning behind this?"

No, but being that it's a Herzog movie it probably won't play to a large audience.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 PM

Herzog hasn't made a major theatrical release in America since Nosferatu, in 1979. He's very highly regarded, but not someone who has ever made making a buck the focus of his career. This is going to make Hollywood types, who overwhelmingly simply do what has been done before with people who have done it before, reluctant to spend much money on screens before they know they're working on close to a sure thing.

I don't know if it matters that the main character is not American, but rather a recent German immigrant, but it sure doesn't help.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:31 AM

i know this movie was produced by Elton Brand (of the NBA), so it could be that there's just not that much money behind it(compared to other majors/indie's with Miramax type backing)...therefore no theatres are taking the risk?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 PM

saw this yesterday...extremely underwhelming. I expected more from the director of Aquirre The Wrath of God...a perfectly fine POW movie that coulda been a TV movie of the Week...not memorable in the least
Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
saw this yesterday...extremely underwhelming. I expected more from the director of Aquirre The Wrath of God...a perfectly fine POW movie that coulda been a TV movie of the Week...not memorable in the least

[/ QUOTE ]

really? wow. my interest level just dropped considerably
Old 07-29-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? wow. maybe I should go see it for myself and form my own opinion.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? wow. maybe I should go see it for myself and form my own opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

new around here, are we?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should definitely go see it. I personally loved it and found it to be a very moving and powerful film. While I wouldn't put this up there with Aguire and Fitzcaraldo, this is definitely a outstanding film with Chritian Bale yet again turning in another top notch performance. I just saw it today, and am still thinking about it a good 6 hours afterwards. This is one of those films that really plays up the human condition and what people will go through to achieve what they truly want. The film really takes a life of its own in the last 1/3 of it and is also the most important part
Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should definitely go see it. I personally loved it and found it to be a very moving and powerful film. While I wouldn't put this up there with Aguire and Fitzcaraldo, this is definitely a outstanding film with Chritian Bale yet again turning in another top notch performance. I just saw it today, and am still thinking about it a good 6 hours afterwards. This is one of those films that really plays up the human condition and what people will go through to achieve what they truly want. The film really takes a life of its own in the last 1/3 of it and is also the most important part

[/ QUOTE ]

glad you liked it, KDawg, but I fount it trite and unmoving.