Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: fold or call
fold 71 94.67%
call 4 5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Petty Thieves and others...

i watched some but it was boring so i stopped (i didnt pay or even consider paying)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM

I did not pay for it for several reasons, none of which I consider to be a valid eithical justification. On the other hand, ESPN didn't lose anything because I simply wouldn't have watched at all without the free feed.

First, I didn't get home until after 8 PM and so missed the first five hours.

Second, I was primarily interested in watching the Tour de France that night and have no ability or interest in watching two channels at once on my TV. (And as I expected I missed a lot of the poker action as I watched the TDF).

Third, I was exhausted and would not be able to watch a significant amount of the broadcast (though probably would've pushed to stay up later if I was paying for it).

Note, I paid for the PPV last year, and would've done so again this year if not for the conflict with the tour de france (I would've pushed to get home earlier if I were paying for the PPV as well.)

I understand they're moving the WSOP earlier next year, so I'll probably pay for it next year.

I have abslutely no qualms about my choice. Take that for what you will about the state of my ethical values.

Querry, did the paid for stream have a full screen option? I certainly wouldn't pay for the small stream that I got. I am willing to pay to get it on my TV.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 PM

I paid for the online feed. I knew about the free feed before I did so, and I still chose to pay.

Quite honestly, the primary reason isn't some ethical high horse; rather, it's that I want this sort of thing to become more available in the future and not less. Revenue is the motivator for ESPN, and by extension any other outfits considering something like this for other games. By demonstrating a willingness to pay for the feed, I'm doing my (very small) part to incentivize the providers to continue to do so.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I paid for the online feed. I knew about the free feed before I did so, and I still chose to pay.

Quite honestly, the primary reason isn't some ethical high horse; rather, it's that I want this sort of thing to become more available in the future and not less. Revenue is the motivator for ESPN, and by extension any other outfits considering something like this for other games. By demonstrating a willingness to pay for the feed, I'm doing my (very small) part to incentivize the providers to continue to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking, I agree with you.

On the other hand, I'm not going to do it just on that basis, I want enough value in the immediate to make it worth my while. So, while I paid last year, and will probably pay again if available in the future, given the conditions for me this year it was either free feed or not watching at all. And quite frankly it was mostly not watching at all, ya know, exciting mountain stage of the TDF and all.

That said, I really got my money's worth last year, though would have liked it if Tech had gone further.

--Zetack
Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM

i knew there would be a link to the online feed for free. i ordered in on directv anyway. it's only $20, i'd rather be able to veg out on my couch and watch it than have to sit at my computer all night.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew there'd be a free way to get it, but I paid anyway. The first two hours were easily worth twenty bucks. I work in the entertainment industry so I'm pretty good about not stealing intellectual property (no, I do not download movies, TV shows, songs illegally). I don't care if that makes me a better person than people who steal this stuff, it just is what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]Same here. I'm in the Sports Broadcasting industry. Part of my job during offseason is locating copyright violations.

Actually discussed at lunch how 2+2 handled the link issue for the FT and how impressive it was.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:25 PM

the money I save watching stuff like this for free, I donate to various charities. Making me pay takes money from those charities. If ppv wants to live with that, so bet it. I care for the children.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew there'd be a free way to get it, but I paid anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously...what's $20?!

plus, I got to watch it on my tv instead of on the computer, which is preferrable for a group of people.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM

So why didn't ESPN get the free links shut down???
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the money I save watching stuff like this for free, I donate to various charities. Making me pay takes money from those charities. If ppv wants to live with that, so bet it. I care for the children.

[/ QUOTE ]

I declare "Bullsh**"

It would be $20 less you have to lose to us on the tables -- that is a more persuasive (and more honest) answer.