Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Why should we bother with you guys anyway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5cXWElb-GE

I mean, your ideas are stupid, facile idiocies. You wouldn't tolerate similar arguments from your 8-year-old nephew but you'll swear by them on Sunday.

Time to grow up. A person who points out just exactly how this stuff is gibberish isn't a "God-hater", or evil or whatever. He just likes a little consistency in social discourse, and doesn't think rationality needs be rationed, or rather chopped at the border of the mental badlands of theology.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Why should we bother with you guys anyway?

Considering the fact that only about 2-3% of the world's population is atheist, it would seem prudent to be able to engage theists in a constructive manner.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering the fact that only about 2-3% of the world's population is atheist, it would seem prudent to be able to engage theists in a constructive manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

prudent? maybe.

fun? no way.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's 2-3% of the world population. That sounds close to the American population though.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 AM

An apropos sentiment for modern America, where fools like Mike Huckabee are given serious consideration for the most powerful office in the world.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's 2-3% of the world population. That sounds close to the American population though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know where I got that number from. It could be the American population. I don't think it changes my argument much though. We should try to engage, understand, educate, etc. theists because there are a lot of them and they directly affect our lives.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We should try to engage, understand, educate, etc. theists because there are a lot of them and they directly affect our lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to, although there are a lot of theists there are probably as many forms of theisms as there are theists. They are too busy arguing each others to hear the voice of reason!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know where I got that number from. It could be the American population. I don't think it changes my argument much though. We should try to engage, understand, educate, etc. theists because there are a lot of them and they directly affect our lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think accuracy with respect to these percentages are important, because it's important for religious people to realize that much of the world has already emerged from the dark ages. Questioning the existence of an all-powerful invisible creator is not a cult or religion in it's own right. It's simply the most logical conjecture based on 21st century evidence. People living secluded lives with respect to their religion need to be made aware of the fact that much of the world has been enlightened and perhaps it's time for them to follow.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given this number before, it is an estimated world % of atheists. Note that agnostics and some religions/philosophies that don't believe in god(s) are not covered by this number. Some 10-12% are seen as 'non-religious'.

Nomatter how you twist it, an exact % is extremely difficult, but this wiki seems solid enough: Clicky
Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An apropos sentiment for modern America, where fools like Mike Huckabee are given serious consideration for the most powerful office in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would actually not mind Huckabee. I've heard him speak many times, and even though he's super religious, he has warped it to fit a very decent system of living and morality. I disagree with him on a few key issues, but the guy has his head in the right place IMHO. I haven't seen him speak in many months though, so if he said something really stupid in one of the debates, I haven't heard it--so don't hold me to this opinion if that's the case!!