Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Held Captive By Hoboken Parking Attendant TR

For anyone from Hoboken - the newer Central lot on 4th btwn Clinton and Grand. Cliff Notes at bottom.

A friend comes to visit for the weekend. He gets to Hoboken Friday night, and we're leaving Saturday morning for AC. We park in a lot a block away from my house. The lot costs $22 for the night. In the morning, we push together our cash, and we have $18. We don't want to go the ATM, so I grab $4 in quarters from my laundry reserve.

We get the car in the lot, drive to the exit and give the attendant (middle-aged black woman, omg racist ban) the ticket. She sees the handful of quarters and says, "We don't take quarters."

I say, "What do you mean, you don't take quarters?"

"We don't take them."

"I don't see a sign saying you don't take them. This is ridiculous."

"That's too many quarters."

"It's four dollars!" I say. "You have to take them."

We go back and forth. I tell her we have no cash, so I guess we can't leave. She says to back up, park the car and go the ATM around the block. I'm [censored] steaming at this point. We back up and park so I can examine my options. I get out of the car, go up to the window on foot, and tell her that unless she can show me a sign that says no quarters, I'm going to call the police unless she lets us pay with them.

"Pull the car up," she says. She's on the phone.

We pull the car up, and she closes the window between us and her as she finishes her phone conversation. I immediately call the police, but then she opens the window. She takes about two minutes to count four dollars in quarters, then finally lets us leave.

WTF? This is some kind of power play, right? Why would anyone ever do this? What the [censored] does she care if her register has 16 quarters in it? I'm annoyed because I park there all the time, fork over $22 for the privelege of parking for 12 hours, and I get treated like this.

Cliff Notes: Parking attendant won't let us pay with $4 in quarters, I threaten to call the police if she doesn't let us out, she let's us out but makes us wait for her to finish her phone call, and then counts the money maddeningly slow.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Held Captive By Hoboken Parking Attendant TR

dude.

seriously.

ass quarters.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 AM

what was blocking you from leaving, just the standard wood hinged gate thing? if so, i'd run right through it and break it. if you have a nice car, your play seems solid.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what was blocking you from leaving, just the standard wood hinged gate thing? if so, i'd run right through it and break it. if you have a nice car, your play seems solid.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a pretty new lot. I think it's like fiberglass or something. But yeah, just the gate.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM

lol this is awesomeness wrapped with a little bow. im copy pasting this story and sending it to my fellow hobokeners who will surely get a kick out of it.

i dispise moments like this. where u know the poorly paid employee is just being lazy because they think they can. this most often happens to me with phone customer service where my problem always seems to be slightly too difficult for the person on the other end so they transfer me to somebody more fit to solve my problem only to be transfered somewhere else.

as for this lot, i've only ever used it once, but i walk by it every day on the way back from qdoba/panera and sometimes i finish my fountain beverage (a sprite/lemonade mix) by then and if im ever feeling the need to litter (not often) i will happily throw it in the parking garage out of protest hoping this chick's job description includes cleaning trash up near her little booth!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM

Dressing properly will get you more respect from the attendant.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 PM

George: "Excuse me...huh... I think I made a big mistake. I'd like my deposit back please."

Attendant: "Whats the problem"

George: "You got hookers turning tricks in my car. How's that for starters."

Attendant: "Haaan! That is all hearsay."

George: "Allright, very good I'd like my car and my deposit back please"

Attendant: "Can't do it'

George: "Whadday'mean.?"

Attendant: "If you read the agreement you signed the deposit is not refundable."

George: "Well does it say anywhere in the contract about my car being used as a whorehouse?

'Cause I don't remember reading that clause either.."

Attendant: "What can I tell you buddy. Take it up with Consumer Affairs."

George:. "All right , just give me my car and let me get the hell out of here."

Attendant: "Well that's going to be a problem"

George: "Why?"

Attendant: "It's all the way in the back. Can't get it out for a couple of days."

George: "What are you talking about.. I WANT MY CAR!!"

Attendant: "We ask that you please bear with us."

George: "Bear with you! This is a parking lot PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO GET

THEIR CARS!!!"

Attendant: "Ideally.."
Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 PM

otnemem, you have the greatest avatar on 2p2 IMO

EDIT: and it would be even better if you could get it to flip back and forth between that pose and when he puts his arm up and flexes
Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 PM

LOL. This story doesn't surprise me at all.

For some reason, Hoboken is full of parking Nazis. My ex came down to visit me last year, parked on the street, and she ended up getting a $175 ticket. No joke.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 PM

Anyone else notice that OOTers that live in Hoboken seem to talk about living in Hoboken a lot? Must be an amazing place.