Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Chicago Bears 2007 Official Thread

Nice post Sluss. What do you think their short and long term plans should be at QB?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post Sluss. What do you think their short and long term plans should be at QB?

[/ QUOTE ]Short term make a decision whether it be Griese, Grossman or Orton and then play to that guys strengths.

One of the biggest problems Grossman was having this year was not taking advantages of his ability to go deep. Berrian is good at spreading the field and with the passes he was catching throwing some double moves to him would have worked great. Grossman has a big arm and mediocre accuracy. Don't keep throwing dinks and dunks because he is going to make a mistake. Get him into a flow, but spend most of your time setting up the deep ball. Grossman needs to have 20-25 throws a game.

With Griese at QB the offense is in a different place. They have to throw the ball much shorter because Griese can't get it down the field. But like I said, they need to use guys like Bradley, Davis and Hestor who are good after the catch. Griese needs to have around 25-35 thows a game.

I haven't seen enough of Orton (besides 2005 when he wasn't showing anything) to say what his strengths are. He did look good though in the preseason throwing the ball down the field. But I don't know if he has the arm strength to pull that off against faster defenses.

Long term I think they need to bring in a better offensive coordinator and figure out what system they want. With the way the offense is set up now I would love it if McNabb gets ticked off enough to demand a trade to the Bears. That though is pretty high hopes. I just think they need to figure what they want to do offensively before they bring in a QB, then put on the ear muffs and let him do what he does best.

Bringing in a veteran who is going to just manage the game is not going to win them the Superbowl. They need a more dynamic QB. Stop thinking they have to play to the defense. The defense is good, but are not going to win games by themselves. Worry about getting points on the board and the defense will be even better. There is no way the fans and the media will not complain about this, so they have to just forge ahead and hope that you can win it all because that is the only way they can win it and the only way they can shut people up.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we get culpepper this year, somehow?

Benson sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff George is licking his chops right about now...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Berrian is not a great route runner and he is not the best after the catch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Berrian also is not very good at catching the football. The more I watch him, the more I'm figuring out he lacks pretty much every quality to play WR except for being fast.

Rashied Davis looked good in the 4th quarter and who's wife did Mark Bradley nail to become a compelete after thought?

Like most of the offense, this recieving corp is leaving a lot to be desired this year. However, I prefer to just throw all the blame on Ron Turner.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We need Tait back and we need to figure out how to runblock, like now.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I noticed in comparing the endzone shots from last year is that they seemed to have reduced the line splits from last year, most likely in an attempt to bolster the pass blocking and narrow blitzing lanes.....but at the same time, it gets all the big uglies closer together and makes it tougher to open big holes.

That may also explain why the edge blitzers were more successful earlier in the year (SD mainly), as the angle of attack to the pocket is much better for the edge blitzer when the o-line has tight splits.

And FWIW, it appeared the splits were varied after halftime Sunday when Benson blew those two big runs, and then went back to tight on the subsequent plays and they pretty much passed the rest of the day.

I can only imagine that the coaches decided in the offseason that the middle pressure they were susceptible to last season would become a problem this season, and the pre-emptively worked in the tighter splits to improve on that....which to their credit, it has worked, but possibly at the expense of the running game and occasional outside pressure.

Another possibility is that they employed the tighter splits in hopes of 'widening the field' as they planned working more out of the singleback sets, and the two-te formations. One of the easiest ways to increase the amount of distance from the tackle box to the sideline is to move the tackles in closer...etc..

Of course, widening the splits won't necessarily make them into a great offense or running team, but I expect them to go back to the basics during the eventual bye week and ditching the tight splits, if not sooner.

And completely unrelated to the splits.....it wouldn't hurt to lob a token 9-ball to Berrian every half or so, if for nothing else than to keep it on the defense's mind and not give their SS carte blanche to be the 8th man in the box.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 AM

Gotta bump this thread after a solid win.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another ho-hum day at the park, the outcome never in doubt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another ho-hum day at the park, the outcome never in doubt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Classic bears football.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 AM

Griese looked ok
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 AM

Huge win tonight. Sitting at 1-4 would have been awful, strange how 1 win feels like the season might be turning around (play Peterson!)