Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

I have a couple more hawaiian beers to review - try and stick it up tomorrow
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM

Here it is. Just to keep things chugging along...arf arf..

Some beers from a couple of the other islands, namely Kaui and the big island. (Pure coincidence I got 2 from each brewery - just noticed that; a coupla reviews are from a few weeks ago and scribbled down).

Keoki, Sunset Ale (Kaui) 3.5/5.
(from scribblings; I was drunk). I liked it. Not a stones throw from being Sierra Nevada, but with a wee bit extra bitterness. Mild malt flavour.

Keoki, Gold (Kaui) 2/5.
Meh. Ok to quaff, but kind of a thin ale & nothing more - could easily have been produced by a mass brewery somewhere in China, or something like that. Light, watery, dull. No inspiration to ever buy again.

Mehana, Volcano Red Ale (Big Island) 2/5.
Deep red colour. Caramelly flavour with plenty sweetness, but unfortunately not balanced out by any bitterness. A cloying aftertaste from the sweetness nailed its coffin for me.

Mehana, Mauna Kea Pale Ale (Big Island) 4/5.
I liked this a lot. A lightweight pale ale, still with good hops tho, but also with a lovely floral aroma thing going - perfect for the warm days here. I enjoyed the slight acetone aroma it also had...if that's the right word.

Kona Brewing Co., Big Wave Golden Ale (Big Island) 3/5.
Reminiscent of a summer ale I guess, but with extra bitterness. Very slight sweetness & mild citrus to it. It left a bit of a lingering bitterness (metallic?) on the back and sides of my tongue that I wasn't keen on.

Kona Brewing Co., Fire Rock Pale Ale 4/5.
Another goodun. A great balance of the hops, sweetness, creamy mouth feel. Wee bit more carbonation than I like but most folk will like it that way (I like low bubbles). Rich, solid mouth feel.

Whew. That took a while & now I'm zingin'. Gotta prime rib to cook up now.

Hope this thread carries on 'cos it's great for knowing which brews to pick up and try. Lookin forward to the summary so far.

dogs
Old 08-03-2007, 01:21 AM

I heard a rumor from a Hawaiian friend that might disappoint you. I heard that the Kona brews, while the grain is grown on the island, the brewing is done in Seattle, of all places. It's strange that it makes economic sense to grow the stuff out there, ship it over the ocean, brew it, and then ship it back. On the up side, though, it means I can find them when I'm in Seattle. I saw them in Costco, of all places, but I didn't pick any up at the time. I'll have to look them up next time.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM

It's been a while since I've done a review here, but I went shopping at Beers of the World yesterday and picked up some good stuff to review. I got new beer from Stoudt's, Dogfish Head, Southampton, Stone, and Ithaca, and I have high expectations for all of them. They're certainly breweries that have repeatedly proved themselves.

Tonight's review, however, is a new beer from Brooklyn. Brooklyn has long been one of my favorite breweries, not because they produce absolutely the best beer, but it's often a very good buy. However, it looks like Brooklyn might be getting into premium brewing now, too. I picked up a bottle of they're Local 1, which is the first beer they've released in a 750 mL bottle. I paid $8.69 for it, which is much more than the damn Californians pay for Stone and Alesmith 22's, but by the standards of BotW, it's on the lower end for a 750. It weighs in at a hefty 9%, but that's only their second strongest offering. The Brooklyn Monster is stronger. Let's get going with the obligatory pics:

The beer pours a nice cloudy gold with a big bubbly head in spite of a slow careful pour. This is a bottle fermented beer, so the cloudiness is welcome. The head is persistent, although it doesn't really challenge the La Chouffe Tripel IPA, the reigning champ for head on beer.

I wasn't exactly sure what kind of beer I was getting when I got this. It says it has German malt and hops and Belgian yeast, and apparently they dumped Mauritius sugar in here, too. I was kinda hoping for a tripel, which is probably my favorite variety of beer. Taking a whiff of this beer, though, and it seemed to be more like a Saison. Turns out that's what Beer Advocate classifies it as, too, so I must be getting pretty good at this beer thing. It's rather strong for a Saison, though. I might have passed if I knew it was a saison, but now that I'm in the middle of reviewing it, I can tell you that it's a pretty good one. The flavor is a little hoppier than most Saisons, but the hops aren't like those in most APAs or IPAs. These are more grassy and herbal. The malt is medium-sweet -- drier than a tripel, but a little sweeter than other Saisons. I get a little bit of apple flavor in there, and something slightly flowery in the aftertaste I can't really narrow down. I find that as I'm finishing of the bottle right now, I'm liking it more. I think that in spite of letting it warm for a bit outside of my fridge, I should have waited a little longer. Since this is a mild, subtle beer, the cold temperature dulls the flavor more than it does for a bolder beer. So, what do I rate this? I think I'm going to give this [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I think the Southampton Saison is still my favorite of the variety, but this is a much better buy than the Flying Dog Saison, which ran me $9.57 on sale, $11.65 full price, and I liked it pretty much the same as the Brooklyn. This is a somewhat optimistic rating relative to some of my others since Saison's don't excite me as much as richer beers, but fans of Saisons should definitely look this one up. It's reasonably priced, will get you drunker than most, and the quality is good for the style.

Edit: wording
Old 08-06-2007, 07:55 PM

The new Southampton brew I found was their Secret Ale. This is an altbier that ran me $8.95 for a sixer. By BotW standards, that's not too bad, but not too cheap, either. It packs a modest 5.1% ABV.

It pours a translucent reddish brown with a moderate head.

The scent of the beer is nice and malty. Its flavor, compared to other alts I've had, including a couple German ones and Alaskan Amber, is not quite as earthy. It's mostly a nice malt that's just slightly sweet. There's a little bit of woodiness behind it, and a nice finish. This beer isn't particularly hoppy, so hop heads might want to look elsewhere. This would be a nice everyday sort of beer for me, although it's not quite as good a buy as Brooklyn Brown. Still, I'm going to give it [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. This is a well-balanced, easy drinking, and tasty ale.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard a rumor from a Hawaiian friend that might disappoint you. I heard that the Kona brews, while the grain is grown on the island, the brewing is done in Seattle, of all places. It's strange that it makes economic sense to grow the stuff out there, ship it over the ocean, brew it, and then ship it back. On the up side, though, it means I can find them when I'm in Seattle. I saw them in Costco, of all places, but I didn't pick any up at the time. I'll have to look them up next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't surprise me. Development land, property, everything is very expensive here.

There are some other HI beers. Mebbe I'll try do the works.

I tried the Kona Brewing Co Pipeline Porter 1/5 (it prolly shudnt be rated that hi). Its brewed with coffee and it really stinks. Just tastes like bad cold coffee with bubbles.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Maxx and I have reviewed half of Ithaca's Excelsior line of premium brews, the double white and the IPAbbey. Tonight, I picked up the third, the Old Habit. The last one is an imperial stout that they dumped some espresso into or something. I might get that one in the next round. The Old Habit bills itself as an ale made out of four different rye malts, two different kinds of hops, and spending some time in bourbon barrels. My experiences with oak aged beer has been mixed. Stones Oak Aged Bastared and Allagash's Curieux are two of my favorite beers. Allagash's other oaked beers, and the Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide didn't impress me as much, the oaking adding significantly to the price, but not as much to the flavor. The Old Habit ran me $8.95 for a 750 mL bottle. It's not cheap, but it's also not as bad as some other premium 750s, notably Allagash. This beer weighs in at 9% ABV, about what I'd expect from a premium beer costing this much and coming in a 750.

The beer pours a darker brown with a slight red tint. It's clear rather than cloudy. The head is slight in the pouring, and it doesn't hang out long.

I could smell this beer even before I started pouring. The first things I smelled were a dark fruitiness, namely plums and cherries. It smells pretty sweet. The wood isn't as noticeable as in, say, the Oaked Bastard. The flavor of this beer is somewhat sweet, and the alcohol is there, too. It's actually a little less sweet as I thought it might be from the strongly fruity smell. The hops are not really in the first flavors of the beer, but they're in the finish. I didn't notice them as much until the beer had warmed a bit, actually, but they make for a nice aftertaste. The fruit flavors don't come through as much in the flavor as they do in the smell. The woodiness is subdued, but it blends with the malt and hops nicely. I'm going to award this [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I actually considered giving this just 3, but this beer definitely needs to warm up from my fridge temp to be properly enjoyed. It's much better just slightly chilled. This isn't the boldest beer, but there are still a lot of flavors in here if you take the time to enjoy them. I wouldn't recommend this for newer beer drinkers, but if you like Stone's Arrogant Bastard and might want something a bit maltier and less hoppy, this is one to check out.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 AM

this is surprisingly very good
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Tonight is my first review from Stoudt's, their Double IPA. I remember having heard good things about this brewery, but I hadn't tried them out before. I found their beer on sale this last time, though, so I snatched it up. I paid $9.97 for a sixer of this and also for a sixer of their tripel. Regular price is $13.95. It's a strong beer, 10% ABV.

The beer is a yellow-orange color with a light head. The head fades, but it maintains a ring around the edge that's enough to lace my glass.

The beer has a nice strong scent, mostly from the hops. They don't smell quite as bitter as some, but there's a lot of orange smell in there. There's also some honey sweetness. The flavor isn't quite as hoppy as I expected. It's a fairly sweet and malty brew with a medium body and much less bitterness than the average double IPA. I looked up the ABV after the fact, since it wasn't written on the bottle. I never would have guessed this was a 10% brew. I was thinking 7-8%. The sweetness probably covers that up. I'm going to give this [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It's a good beer, but I wish they had kicked up the hops just a hair more. Still, the hop flavor and the malt base is tasty.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM

For tonight's review, I'm going to take on a monster. Beers of the World got in a couple new beers from Dogfish Head, and I couldn't pass up their
Raison D'Extra. This beer, according to Beer Advocate, weighs in at 20% ABV!!! Twenty percent! I didn't think they could make beer this strong, since the World Wide Stout and 120 Min IPA weigh in at a "mere" 18%.

The beer pours a medium brown with almost no head. That's not surprising, though. Beer this strong can't hold a head.

The smell of this beer is extremely strong. I smell raisins, obviously, as this beer is brewed with them. The alcohol is very strong, and makes it difficult to take a deep whiff. I also get apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The flavor is quite a rush. I get all the flavors I smelled, although surprsingly, the alcohol isn't as pronounced as I might have thought. I would have known this was a strong beer, but not 20%. It's quite sweet, and there's a hint of the cough syrup, but it's not in the foreground. The flavor of this beer lasts long after swallowing, and there's a little honey in the finish, too. I'm going to give this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It's an amazing beer, but I think DFH went a little too far. The cough syrup creeps in there, but not as much as with their 120 min IPA. Still, it seems sweet and strong at the expense of some of the flavor. It's not quite good enough to earn the extra half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. If I'm going to pay $10 for a bottle of DFH beer, I'll take the World Wide Stout.