Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Floating turns into two barrels. Any good or spew?

Villian is 23/18. I haven't gotten tricky or 3bet him this session. Of course I'm just hoping to take it down on turn. We pretty much know I have no showdown value, so is a river barrel worth it here?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($127.05)
BB ($20.20)
UTG ($198.30)
MP ($191)
Hero ($433.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $8, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $14</font>, Hero calls $14.

Turn: ($47) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $28</font>, MP calls $28.

River: ($103) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $86</font>
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Floating turns into two barrels. Any good or spew?

Looks good with the 7 pairing. Maybe a titch too big on the river for my taste, but not by too much.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

i don't like it

you are representing too narrow a range of pretty much Jxh, a good villain will be snapping this off often.

Bad river to do it on too
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Wait, what? I &lt;3 that river for my 87s.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

So one likes the 7 and one doesn't. I was torn on wether it was a good card cuz it narrow's our range, but at the same time it still seems hard for flush draws, small pairs to call. (There are two flush draws) I don't like it, but I KNOW I'm losing the pot if I check.

(btw, this isn't a Neilso post. I made two plays almost exactly the same today. One folded and one tanked and called w/ KK. I won't say which one this is)
Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 PM

If I was villain I would fold 95% of my range here, if not 100. Turn bet is too small though, I think an extra $8 really make a difference.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM

This is good if villain has taggish stats but is a bad player.

For instance, this is how I see a lot of bad TAGfish play stuff like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Which is why I often bet all kinds of pairs on this turn and check behind on the river, and bet the river with lots of bluffs and with good hands (against this type of villain, ldo).

Against a good player this is a good way to play a 7, because he's snap calling a lot here, and is very unlikely to play a draw like this (he'd play a draw more aggressively, and he'd c/f some unpaired hand that beats you on the turn, thus his hand is a made hand).

That is, given that this river didn't hit any draws, a good player's hand range right now is very, very often c/cing, whereas a bad player's hand range right now is very often c/fing.

Make sense?