Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Negreanu: Absence of internet sites better for WSOP

Just realized this is the wrong forum for this, so if someone wants to move it that's cool. Anyway I'm going to leave it as is otherwise so people don't end up clicking on a blank page.

If I hear him right in the interview linked below, he seems to suggest the prohibition of internet poker site sponsorship at the WSOP is better for the game overall. He actually calls the new non-internet site sponsors "more reputable".

I think this is maybe yet another case of Daniel not thinking before he speaks, but I'll let 2+2 make that judgment before I go into too long a tirade. I will say that the poker boom which increased the number of players in these tourneys exponentially, was due primarily to online poker. Furthermore if what he is implying is the quality of the competition will increase substantially without so many online satellite players participating, I not only think he's wrong, I take offense.

When are these B&M dinosaurs going to get over the fact they just aren't as good anymore as the everyday internet grinders playing five times as many hands as they do, and stop being so envious?

Saying that regular corporate sponsors are better for the WSOP than online internet sites might be true in terms of how it's perceived by the non-poker and only very occasional recreational playing public .. but it sure as hell isn't going to help us get online poker back in the legal mainstream. I can already hear politicians quoting Negreanu's statement when it comes time to debate Frank's bill.

If the link below doesn't work go to www.worldseriesofpoker.com

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/mediac...Date=2007/06/04
Old 06-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Negreanu: Absence of internet sites better for WSOP

I haven't seen what Negreanu said (can't watch videos at work), but from how you are describing it, I can't imagine opponents of internet poker using it in their debate, for two reasons: (1) taking a position either in support or opposition to Negreanu's statement basically requires conceding that poker is a game of skill (such that one somehow measure the "quality" of a tournament field), and (2) opponents of internet poker are not likely to listen to, value, or care about what professional poker players say.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM

um, from what i heard, he basically meant that its good that all these PARTYPOKER.NET, BODOG.NET banners and showrooms are gone and its less of a gimmick
Old 06-06-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um, from what i heard, he basically meant that its good that all these PARTYPOKER.NET, BODOG.NET banners and showrooms are gone and its less of a gimmick

[/ QUOTE ]

And is that how we want our "ambassadors" of the game portraying online poker, as "gimmicky"? I really think he could have chosen his words more wisely.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM

gimmick was my word

i could care less how the game is portrayed
Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Can anyone offer any evidence that online players have eclipsed live pros in live tourney play?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM

5 times as much hands online make that like 15+ times more hands online. This all reminds me a little of the release of the MTGonline it gave everybody who used it a serious edge you could play as much as you wanted then live, faster and against tough opponents. Everybody who was worth something in the MTG world used it
Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 times as much hands online make that like 15+ times more hands online. This all reminds me a little of the release of the MTGonline it gave everybody who used it a serious edge you could play as much as you wanted then live, faster and against tough opponents. Everybody who was worth something in the MTG world used it

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I was thinking of the average online player, not everyone multi-tables. In terms of the the big winners I'm sure it's at least 15 times more hands. I 6-12-table 2-4k hands a day myself, but I have no life whatsoever.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Having more 'outside' (non poker) sponsers is a good thing for poker.
I think thats what Negreanu was saying
Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 PM

I know it's fashionable to rag on Negreanu, but wow, you're reading into it waaaaaaay too much.