Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Default 27/14 people

What hands are they calling with preflop that i am not? Say MP/CO raises im on button I usually call 34s+, 46s+, 22+, Axs and reraise if i play ATo+, KQo+.

Someone playing this calling all bets preflop style needs to chime in here and maybe share what actually is profitable [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2006, 11:27 AM

Default I\'m not one of THOSE people

I dont understand why people want to call raises so much preflop. You end up having to do a lot of fit-or-folding postflop unless your reads on your villains are good and you are capable of outplaying them (ie floating them).

If im playing in a way that my vpip is 27, my pfr is usually like 20-22. Likewise if im playing so my vpip is 20, my pfr would be 15.

PS - I dislike reraising Ato,( AJo sometimes), Kqo preflop unless villain is a terrible pay-off lag. Even then I would sooner muck in many circumstances.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: I\'m not one of THOSE people

Same here, I have about 25/20 stats, there is no reason to just call raises since you will be left looking stupid on the river or check-folding flops most of the time when you just call. Only call with those sweet suited connectors when there are callers between. And even then its every now and then a better play to squueze and get that sweet $ that got killed between the PFR and you. I'm still wondering about pairs, if you 3-bet small pairs preflop the reverse implied odds get a bit hefty and you also might end up losing the showdown to a higher pp that called your flop bet and you failed to pull the trigger on turn and river since you figured he had that K which came on the flop.
Another good reason to 3-bet preflop is that its actually a lot easier to read your opponents hand in these pots and they are a lot less likely to float you on the flop.
Most of the time its better to muck preflop if you cant be the original raiser and your hand cant stand much heat unless it evolves into 2p or better. I also had another idea in my mind which I promptly forgot while I was typing the last sentence, but it was propably something equally stupid so no harm done.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: 27/14 people

They are probably completing their sb too much and limping in marginal spots where others might raise or fold.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:06 AM

I think this forum fixates way too much on preflop play in general.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought that was the beauty of no limit. preflop play and fundamentals don't matter very much. everything is what you make of it. i'm sure that's not true, i just thought that was the beauty of it
Old 05-28-2006, 02:55 AM

The reason pre-flop gets so much focus is because with 100 BB stacks, pre-flop is probably going to be the street where your decisions are most costly, because they set you up for difficult/marginal decisions later in the hand.

As for people with 27 VPIP, they're probably calling more often PF with often-dominated Broadway-type hands and suited/unsuited connectors OOP. Start calling raises w/ATo, KQo, AJo, QJo, 45s OOP - that'll get your VPIP up around 27.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:17 AM

Im around those stats and I add suited 2 gappers into the mix on occasion as well. Also in the 200NL there are a bunch of tight players that I have really good reads on and I can take the pot away from so I call with almost any 2 if it's just me and them in the pot and I have position.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 AM

It sure seems to me that playing a 27/14 style would be missing out on some raising opportunities while playing dominated hands/speculative hands, often out of position. Josh, I like this aspect of no limit as well, how many styles of preflop play can be successful. It's more fun than the usually standard cookie-cutter limit hold'em preflop strategy.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought that was the beauty of no limit. preflop play and fundamentals don't matter very much. everything is what you make of it. i'm sure that's not true, i just thought that was the beauty of it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, so long as you obey the NL god of position. Disobey him and thou shalt be smited. Obey it and bustings shall go in your favour.