Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Default travel forum

any objections?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: travel forum

When we had it, hardly anyone used it. I think it was something like 20 posts/day and 2 or 3 people viewing. Its not something 2+2 wants.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When we had it, hardly anyone used it. I think it was something like 20 posts/day and 2 or 3 people viewing. Its not something 2+2 wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

but then we will be missing out on great threads like this one

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM

OTOH, it was a playground, so it would get lower traffic than if it had a proper name. I'm not really chomping at the bit for it, but I don't really object, either. OOT might be happy to ditch the threads that consist of nothing but "I'm going to Boston this weekend, what should I do?"
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, it was a playground, so it would get lower traffic than if it had a proper name. I'm not really chomping at the bit for it, but I don't really object, either. OOT might be happy to ditch the threads that consist of nothing but "I'm going to Boston this weekend, what should I do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

except we won't ditch them. we'll end up getting them anyway, and moving them to the travel forum, and then subsequently having to answer PMs about why the thread had to go to the travel forum when nobody posts there.

mat, i say nay, but i'm not going to [censored] a brick over it or anything
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM

it was actually made and and i quickly took it away believing that's what people wanted.

those upset by my backing out rightly point out that it wasn't given a real chance.

but maybe it doesn't deserve a chance. hence this thread.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 PM

I'm in the I'd rather not see it, but I'm not gonna throw a fit over it camp.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM

i think it's a good idea and i was going to enjoy modding it.

"it only got 20 posts a day" is not, i think, accurate. the forum only existed for like 2 days, and it was pretty active in that time. on top of that, it wasn't like it had a real chance to get going.

personally i think it has at least as much viability as a forum as "the gym" or whatever, especially if people use it for more than just reviews of exotic locations etc, and do some profiles of cities they live in, etc.

i don't think at this point i could personally mod it, but i know nation said he would want to mod it. i don't think he can do as good a job as i could, but i do think he'd be better than almost everyone at it.

thus: i think it should be given another chance and i think nation should be offered modship of it.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM

I vote YES. Travel and poker are very much related. We now must look in several places for the travel threads (i.e. OOT, B&M, Eld forum, etc). I would especially like to see the Thailand and BA threads in the same forum.

I don't think the travel forum was really provided much of a chance previously. I think it was only a forum for a few days and never made it to the side bar. JMHO

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how many people will regularly read the forum enough for there to be good advice.

Since I am from Oregon and am homesick all the [censored] time due to living in Pittsburgh, I love participating in threads about traveling through Oregon, doing stuff in Portland, etc. My favorite thread of all time is probably Clarkmeister's trip report in the el diablo forum. Apologies for the redundancy.

Similarly, I am quite fond of Spain having studied in Sevilla for a semester. I have participated in a number of threads giving advice on where to go and what to do on a trip there.

However, even with all that I don't think I will very often read the forum to scan for such threads. Most threads are going to be "What to do in X?" where X is not Oregon, Spain, or even Western Pennsylvania so I'll nearly always have no reason to go there. On occasion I'll probably go there to make a "What to do in Toronto?" or whatever post and will skim the other posts then but other than that I don't think I'll ever read it.

Again, I really like reading and posting in threads about travel to places I know a lot about. Most people are probably far less eager to post in threads about their hometowns and even less likely to seek out the travel forum in order to find such threads.

Cliff's Notes: I think the forum will feature a lot of people looking for advice but few people there to give it.