Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 PM

Default B&M, flopped bottom set

$3-5 blinds, stack sizes:
Hero $500
V1 $600+
V2 $500

Game is pretty loose, any raise to $25 or less likely to get called by any limpers. V1 young asian fairly new to table and I'd figure to be a solid player. V2 is new also, doesn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary.

I limp from early/mid position with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. V1 raises to $25 and I complete the action with 5 players seeing a flop:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

checked to V1 (preflop raiser) and he bets $75 into about $130 pot. V2 thinks a while and calls. All fold to me (last to act) and I raise to $250 straight. V1 thinks for awhile and folds. V2 folds right away (I caught a glimpse of a Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as he mucks, assuming he had QJo).

V1 asks if I at least had a set, claims he folded QQ.

If that was true, any thoughts of what I could've done to double up? Or is check-raise a good option with that $$ in the pot while holding bottom set? I probably would've called V1 but with V2's $$ I felt it was OK to raise.

I also thought leading out for $60 to $75, based on V1 he might've at least called or played back at me (ideally).

I tend to play tight and usually if I'm in a hand post-flop I at least have a draw. After playing with me a while good players usually peg me for having a hand. I'll usually pick a spot or 2 to make a play during a session once people have me pegged. Only if some $$ in the pot and it's worth my while.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: B&M, flopped bottom set

You'll make more money leading that flop. Overpairs are likely to raise, maybe AJ or a flushdraw & overs. Basically the only thing an overpair can worry about here is a set on a board like that. Two pair is pretty unlikely.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 PM

On the flop the pot is $130, 5 players, and there is $475 behind. The ratio of the remaining stacks to the $$ in the pot is 3.65 which means there is enough for 2 pot sized bets to get it all in.

You have to figure that in a lose live game that opponents will put 2 pot sized bets in with hands you beat (TPTK, combo draw, overpair etc...) so your job right now is to get all the $$ in the middle. Easiest way to do that is to CRAI.

The mistake you made IMHO is you raised way to little on your c/r. V1 bets $75 into a $130 pot and there is 1 caller. You make it $250 to go. You are giving ($130 + $75 + $75 + $250)/($250 - $75) = 3:1 to your opponents to call. If someone is on a flush draw and they hit the turn you will probably put in your stack trying to fill up on the River, so they are getting proper odds to chase a FD.

So I'd just push.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Bet $100 at the flop.

If you c/r, then CRAI to make it look a little bit like you have a hand with which you'd just as soon get no callers (like an OESFD or FD w/ over cards, or TP w/ FD. Given the size of the pot, you probably get action from overpairs than if you c/r an amount that looks like you're begging for a pot-committing call with a set.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 AM

I believe when you are unknown to the villain, the best play is to CRAI the flop. This will give the villain the most justification for believing you're making a move. If the villain has a read on you as a solid player, I agree with the previous poster that you should lead the flop for somewhere around 2/3 -> 3/4 pot. If I'm the villain, the OP's raise certainly looks to be for value, and I'm more likely to fold vs. this small raise than a shove.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 AM

FWIW, if i'm villain here I fold QQ pretty quickly also in every live game i've played.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 PM

You're turning your hand face-up after you limp/call PF unless you also make that CR with combo draws.

Lead that flop and hope to get raised or at least set yourself up to get it AI on the turn or river.