Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/19 - 500K buyin pt 3 - Spoilers on al

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously crap episode. Wish they would get rid of these donks and bring some Internet pros in to feast on Guy, wanna see an allout bloodbath.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post bothered me. I'm not responding to it b/c I want the OP to read this, i'm responding to it so others, especially young and impressionable poker players might read it.

For starters, Guy has played ultra high limit poker for a long time. He's also a self made billionaire. He's probably like most players- plays well when winning, plays terrible when losing. That's the biggest difference in his results versus a consumate professional. Yes, guy is a loser in the game to the best of our knowledge, but your remark is both trite and ignorant. I dont care who you bring in to the game- poker is not a feast, poker is not a bloodbath, poker is a game where a loser loses money gradually, not in some hemmoraghing-cash-come apart at the seams- spew fest, and an incredibly succesful and capable business man with his savy is not going to give a performance like that no matter who you put in the game. Furthermore, Guy has made very few mistakes, and the mistakes he has made are related to loss of value on his winning hands, and the biggest mistakes that a player can make for some rookie like yourself to label him a bad player, well, he hasn't made, i.e., calling PSB's when obviously beat, etc. If you notice, most very large pots in poker games occur when one player has a very strong hand and the other has a slightly stronger hand, i.e., a cooler- you're not going to see a $1M pot where guy calls down OOP w/ bottom pair against top set, when losers lose in poker it's from a gradual loss of value and a steady series of -EV calls, not b/c they shoved any two into the nuts PF.

You need to reconsider your comments and approach to the game, b/c the truth is that Guy has played well and he demonstrated some very strong abilities in his game in the last show.

-Tex
Old 11-22-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the truth is that Guy has played well and he demonstrated some very strong abilities in his game in the last show.

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, guy couldn't beat .05/.10 NL online and he is embarassing himself playing at this level.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the truth is that Guy has played well and he demonstrated some very strong abilities in his game in the last show.

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, guy couldn't beat .05/.10 NL online and he is embarassing himself playing at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I always find that judgements based on a sample hand size of about 20 are very precise.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like his style. A billionaire who embraces life, who wants to master new things. I doubt your disapproval embarrasses him whatsoever. He knows he's money, not poker, but his money can afford to buy a little poker, and he's getting what he paid for.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, guy doesn´t have to care really wether he could beat .05/.10 NL online.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I always find that judgements based on a sample hand size of about 20 are very precise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I have seen him play in other tournaments as well as numerous times in the big NL cash games online. He is a BIG loser online, basically he is Sbrugby and others main source of income. And if you think he has played well you know absolutely nothing. Go back to what you said about a sample size of 20 hands, even though he has made alot of very -EV and unorthodox plays they have by chance worked for him it does not mean his plays were good. As we can see by his overall stats and the amount of money he has lost those -EV moves will always catch up with you.

I am not saying he has a bad attitude or anything like Gold but just telling people who think he is a good player that they are sorely mistaken.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hell bet them 100millions, how man NL10-players can call that?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:42 PM

That sounds like the movie Shade [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

werent you the guy defending farha calling 25k preflop with K8s when hellmuth raised it?

[/ QUOTE ]

defend? not sure if that's the word. i really don't think farha needs defended by anyone. the thing is... if you're watching HSP looking for beginners tips on how to play NLHE then you're in trouble. if you're in a game and you think that your opponent is raising big with something between 77 and QQ and you want to call and see if you can crack them with a trash hand like K8 then go ahead. if you know going in that you're a 2.5:1 dog then who im i to call it a bad play. if all he had lost in the hand was the 25k that wouldn't have been so bad for a player like farha... he's lost far more than 25k in many hands we've watched on HSP. also, he chose the ideal player to make that call against.. wouldn't you say? you pick the k8 hand as a hand played badly... i pick it as a hand played well by farha. stop imposing your standards on others. simply acknowledge there is more than one way to play this game.

it served farha well in the hand he played with Jman. suddenly Jman gave sammy credit for having him beat when sammy simply made a near pot sized bet on the turn against his QQ. i do have to agree with you... JMan did play his flopped set of jacks well.. .or at least he didn't fold the best hand as we've seen him do.

i think you may have read this also in that thread. strict starting hand requirements are for beginners. if you're still holding on to them then so be it.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there is more than one way to play this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
god bless america