Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

Tex if you are having humidification issues I HIGHLY suggest checking out Heartfelt Industries and getting some humidifcation beads. About a pound will take care of 50 quarts of space, much much less for a desktop humidor. Once you humidify the beads they will keep the RH perfectly stable at whichever RH they are conditioned for (60,65,67.5,70 etc.). I use them in all my humis and only have to do maintenance once a month or so. If you are having problems beyond that with varying humidity in the humidor you may want to grab an oust fan, if you toss it in there it circulates the air and pretty much universally solves this problem.

I would agree with you on the current ELs but I would say the Bolivar Gold Medal (not technically an EL but previously a regional release) is a fantastic new cigar. Also, like you said, there are way more scumbag fake habanos dealers than legit dealers on the Internet. I can think of several off the top of my head. So definitely be careful, but there are also some reliable retailers out there..
Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tex if you are having humidification issues I HIGHLY suggest checking out Heartfelt Industries and getting some humidifcation beads. About a pound will take care of 50 quarts of space, much much less for a desktop humidor. Once you humidify the beads they will keep the RH perfectly stable at whichever RH they are conditioned for (60,65,67.5,70 etc.). I use them in all my humis and only have to do maintenance once a month or so. If you are having problems beyond that with varying humidity in the humidor you may want to grab an oust fan, if you toss it in there it circulates the air and pretty much universally solves this problem.

I would agree with you on the current ELs but I would say the Bolivar Gold Medal (not technically an EL but previously a regional release) is a fantastic new cigar. Also, like you said, there are way more scumbag fake habanos dealers than legit dealers on the Internet. I can think of several off the top of my head. So definitely be careful, but there are also some reliable retailers out there..

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you mentioned this. i had a humidor i hadn' opened up and seasoned last week that came with an element that has beads in it. it's been the most consistent of my three humidors by far.

i smoked a monte #2 last night, the pyramides. wow. awesome smoke. sometimes its hard to find a stick with such construction that allows an even burn and a big draw, but this was the one. vanilla, slight hints of leather, just an all around favorite-tobacco flavor stick. highly reccomend it even if you have to pay between $15-$20/stick, it's worth it. took me about an hour and 15 minutes to finish, and i was thrilled having only paid less than $15 for mine.

also, yes, to reitterate, the bolivar gold medal is a fantastic stick.

im off to dinner with a cohiba siglo VI. tomorrow i'm going to smoke my genios. envy me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Tex
Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 AM

although rather hard to find and a bit pricey i would recommend maximus much better than opus X, my other favorite is La Aurora Perforido #2. My standard smoke is excalibur maduro #3.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:51 AM

mmmm....leather. ?????
Old 11-18-2007, 10:21 PM

I'm thinking of buying a box of cigars or two for Christmas. I've never ordered online before. Anyone know of a site with good deals? I like brands like CAO, padron, upmann, montecristo, etc.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 AM

Question 1:

i got a humidor as a gift a couple months ago and tried to condition it by putting standing tap water in a for a week. the included crappy hygrometer didn't get above 40% so i microwaved the water till it was almost boiling, then put it in. it spiked to about 70% but quickly fell. i did this multiple times. always went back to 40%. i've had 20 cigars in there, or should i say "sticks", for a couple months, with an open bottle of cigar fluid, and it's never got above 40%. you guys think it's really at 70% or so? Or are my cigars dry? How can you tell? Should I do the sponge?

Question 2:

Do you guys spit while smoking? I had a repeater tonight on my porch. I don't smoke much, but when I do, I'm spitting constantly. I don't smoke too often, and started in high school, when spitting was just as cool as smoking cigars. Am I doing this out of habit, or do all cigar smokers spit? I noticed this because it made it hard to sip on my whiskey. As for the quality of the cigar I had, I bought a bunch of cigars when I got my humidor, some cheap some expensive. I forgot which were which, so I guess I got the cheap one.

Question 3:

Exactly where should I buy a digital hygrometer. I checked radioshack, where guids said he bought his, and they only had an outdoor, combo thermometer thing. Probably not what i'm looking for.

Question 4:

I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Question 2: There are about 5 of us that regularly smoke together, only one is a spitter.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Go to cheaphumidors.com for digital hygrometers and tips on making sure its calibrated. I'd link to the specific tip but tinyurl is down.

If you live in a dry climate I'd add HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel or something similar (in addition to the Humidifier that comes with the humidor).

I never spit.

~ Rick
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking of buying a box of cigars or two for Christmas. I've never ordered online before. Anyone know of a site with good deals? I like brands like CAO, padron, upmann, montecristo, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

famoussmoke.com
cigarsinternational.com
seriouscigars.com
tampahumidor.com
holts.com
tinderbox.com
jrcigars.com

Searching those sites for the best prices on the cigars you want should be a good start. I haven't found one site that has the best prices on all cigars, you gotta shop around.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

I spit alot when I smoke good cigars. It just makes the saliva sit in my mouth