Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: The Hated Free Showdown Raise Maybe

[ QUOTE ]

however, that being said, i've seen some very profitable opportunities appear when somebody who has been "bullied" decides to stand up without a top made hand at the wrong time (this being the wrong time).

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough, you probably don't remember but I do. A while ago (a long time ago) there was a post where I'm pretty sure you had A9 and went a number more bets than normal on an Ahi flop. Someone responded. "He's very good at knowing when people are tilting and will go x many bets with poor hands"

So. Thanks for the advice, you're absolutely right.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

however, that being said, i've seen some very profitable opportunities appear when somebody who has been "bullied" decides to stand up without a top made hand at the wrong time (this being the wrong time).

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough, you probably don't remember but I do. A while ago (a long time ago) there was a post where I'm pretty sure you had A9 and went a number more bets than normal on an Ahi flop. Someone responded. "He's very good at knowing when people are tilting and will go x many bets with poor hands"

So. Thanks for the advice, you're absolutely right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont' remember that specific instance or post but you're welcome lol.

it's one of thost things that everybody sees at one time or another, a guy goes like a bagillion bets w/ a hand that "can't possibly be good" b/c the specific opponent has been running that player over or runnign over the table...these players at these times seem to hugely discount the possibility of their opponent "having it again" so they go off for too much.

hope that makes sense,
Barron
Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Confusing thread, I think I would 4 bet the turn if three bet - then maybe check behind on the river.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM

haha, I read your title and then your post and thought you were trying to induce action by faking a free showdown raise.
guess you weren't.

anyway, I'd value raise the turn and value bet any river.

-Bill
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Confusing thread, I think I would 4 bet the turn if three bet - then maybe check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, i don't think a 3bet here is a set enough of the time even if villian calls 99/tt 100% in the blinds

Barron
Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely overkill, because if you're 3-bet (and you happen to hold the key nut card) you're generally beaten and if you're 5-bet, you're going to be shooting yourself.

Garland
Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 AM

Well, he cant have the nuts, so it is tough to put together how we are thinking the same player who cannot 3 bet the turn with a set can 5 bet the turn w/o the nuts. Also, if he does have a set and he fills up, the turn 4 bet will perhaps get us pretty sick action on the river.

I think it is rather unlikely we can be 5 bet here, so in sticking with the title of the thread as defined by OP, I prefer a FSD 4 bet. We also get to win an extra bet when we fill up since is possible villian will check the river if the board pairs.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, he cant have the nuts, so it is tough to put together how we are thinking the same player who cannot 3 bet the turn with a set can 5 bet the turn w/o the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat confused. You're going on the supposition that we got turn 3-bet by a non-nut hand. Then supposedly he's got a near nut hand, and that near nut hand (flush) beats us. And if we 4-bet, we still haven't established the bounds of villain's aggression. He may get stubborn and 5-bet us, which is very much bad news. However...

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if he does have a set and he fills up, the turn 4 bet will perhaps get us pretty sick action on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

As unlikely a set is with a turn 3-bet, this is actually an amusing and interesting thought. However, if we simply fill up, and he still gives us excess action, we still have one more thing to worry about [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Garland
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 AM

Perfectly played.

Can't worry too much about a flopped flush. You either have the nuts and are drawing to the nut flush or top boat. Would he cap the flop with a non-nut flush?

I fear no one with your hand here.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call turn, fold river un-improuved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. Advice. Ever.

Where do you play poker?