Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Default straddling the button 3 handed

I played in game at bay101 for a while that was 3 handed, and 2 of the 3 of us were straddling every button. It seemed like a pretty killer strategy, and the 1 guy who wasn't straddling seemed to be giving up lots.

Any thoughts on pf strategy when there is a button straddle? I'm talking about from each players perspective...
Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: straddling the button 3 handed

It forces you to play really tight in the SB unless the straddler is super dumb and folds his straddle ever, or the BB is SUPER tight, then you should raise a huge range in the SB and you and the button can chop up the BB over time. If all 3 players are competent the BB will be heads up with the button a lot and the SB will be folding his brains out. Also if you are the button and nobody raises your straddle I don't think its correct to raise as much as some people do in that spot exercising their option. Bloating the pot more will take away from your positional advantage UNLESS your opponents' mistakes are that they are too tight. Then by all means bloat and bluff often.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM

I wish more places let me do this.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM

I used to always straddle 3 handed when I've had the option but now I try to not do if the other two players are the type to make it so it will be capped back to me often (but not if I normally open raised the button) or if the BB is the sort of player who will fight for pots with nothing. If the BB is the type who needs pairs to continue then straddling the button is only like the greatest thing ever because the SB almost always plays much tighter and then the BB will be waiting around forever to snap you off and before he knows it he has let you win 40 bets waiting to trap you for 5.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 AM

I used to straddle the button all the time but I stopped cuz I was sick of putting in 3 bets with 73o and feeling like I need to peel most flops. Now I just straddle when the BB is the fish and SB is tough.

In a situation where all players are of equal skill I'm not convinced straddling the button is +ev. anyone care to show me otherwise?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 AM

Figured that was you. Cant speak for you, but the other guy was not gaining by straddling.