Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Contiuning on with my Education

Hi guys, first time I've ever posted here.

I'm having a very hard time deciding if going to school next year is worth it. I'm 19, have a full time job for the summer, that I am contemplating working at instead of going to school.
At this place, I could make up to 20$/hr, working about 50 hours a week, and I would use this money in a year to move out/ buy myself a new vehicle.

About my school: its a 2 year business management dipolma, wow, I know so amazing. First year is done, and I can't afford to pay for the second year. I'm not sure if they allow you to pay for a semester at a time, and if they don't I can't go, plain and simple.

After this year is up, I would most likely go back to school, pending how work is going/ how close I am to becoming a certified manager.

If I managed to go to school and pay for it and all, I don't think i would be able to keep good grades, as I would have to work about 20-30 hours a week to pay for my car insurance/gas and save up for next semester tuition and books.

Anyone else in a dilemma like this/ past experience?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Contiuning on with my Education

I'm guessing your school has a pretty sub-par/non-existent financial aid program, otherwise you wouldn't be posting this dilemma? Have you considered taking out any student loans to help pay for school? I don't really how good your options look after you graduate, but my advice would be to focus on getting a degree/certification of some sort and worry about working later if you can get that money from elsewhere first. On another note, don't buy a new car and if you live in a city with good public transportation, try and sell your car. A car in terms of monetary considerations is one of the worst investments you can make as 1) it depreciates in value with time, 2) gas/insurance/other maintenance costs are high, 3) it's liable to break down. Of course, having one has its merits but when it comes to getting a degree vs. having a set of wheels to impress the ladies, the ladies will always be there while the degree will not.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:18 PM

you need to look into every way possible to get the money to pay for school or you will really regret it down the road
Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 AM

If you're an Autumn Reeser fan, we might be the only 2 on this site. I <33333333 her