Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: DC to Atlantic City Shortcut Thread

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know if you can go from 295N to 42 south?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you must get off onto 42N and then do a U-turn to go back to 42S.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, reviving an old thread here because driving up from AC tomorrow, and I can't really understand how this shortcut works (the old link is dead). I'm not even sure I know which road to take from the Turnpike to the ACX even without the shortcut, I have only done this with someone else who knew the way - when driving on my own I've always taken US40.

Actually whenever I come back from AC to DC, I take the ACX which becomes 42, then get onto to 295S, bypassing the Turnpike completely. I am not sure if this can be done in reverse though - does anyone know if you can go from 295N to 42 south? One would think you could, but the Google map looks kind of like 295N goes straight into 42N.

Even on the route I mentioned going home 42N to 295S, if you follow the signs it gets you there fine, but it is really unusual, it is kind of like you are making a U-turn. I think maybe the signs actually have you take an offramp, then put you back onto 42S, then onto 295S.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am google mapping it now and they give the directions you mentioned rather than taking you on NJ turnpike. It seems like continuing on 295 then going south on 42 is actually 9 minutes faster than taking the turnpike and industrial park route. Is there a problem with 295 because the tolls on the turnpike are killer.

+EV
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know if you can go from 295N to 42 south?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you must get off onto 42N and then do a U-turn to go back to 42S.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the way that google maps used to tell you to go but now it is the default. Somehow even with all the driving the wrong direction and uturning it is still faster than taking the NJ turnpike which is pretty expensive.

I am thinking of trying the 295 route the next time I go.

+EV
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM

I just tried Google Maps, and it has me taking 295 to 42, but a weird back way between them, going past it and the back on another road.

Has anyone actually done 295N to 42N then made a U-turn? Is it difficult to do? How far do you have to go to make a U-turn?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This map should show the shortcut:

http://tinyurl.com/2nfxxe

[/ QUOTE ]

Great mapping.

Mr.K also bothered to document all the street names in a previous thread, here they are.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Get on NJTP after crossing the Del. Memorial Bridge.
2. Take exit 3 and head NORTH towards Camden (should be RIGHT). This is the exit with the "Aquarium" sign, ironically.
3. Turn LEFT at the first light onto Benigno Blvd (Wendy's on left)
4. Take Benigno thru the industrial park, and make a quick LEFT then RIGHT when you hit Leaf Ave. You will go L on Leaf, and then quickly turn North (RIGHT) onto Wellwood Ave. This turn takes place at a sort of traffic circle.
5. Take Wellwood up the hill to Creek Road, and turn LEFT on Creek. Take Creek over top of Route 42.
6. Turn LEFT onto Harding Ave after crossing 42.
7. Take Harding to where it dead ends, you'll see an onramp for 42 SOUTH.
8. Take 42 South to the beginning of the ACE, and head on to poker glory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just tried Google Maps, and it has me taking 295 to 42, but a weird back way between them, going past it and the back on another road.

Has anyone actually done 295N to 42N then made a U-turn? Is it difficult to do? How far do you have to go to make a U-turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

ChillRob, TT, or RR, please fix this post so it does not kill formatting for this helpful thread.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM

thanks guys, I'm def going to try this next week.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM

I don't know what happened with the link I tried to post.

Anyway, I just went to Google Maps again, chose the exact same starting and ending zip code, and this time it gave me different directions than when I typed in the exact same thing an hour ago! What's more, I now have no specific URL showing at the top, just http://maps.google.com/.

It now does tell me to take I295N to 42N (aka I-76W) for 1.2 miles, take exit 1C towards US130, turn left at Market Street, then merge back on to I-76E, go the 1.2 miles back then I am back where I want to be. I guess this is the first exit at which to make a pseudo-U-turn.

Does anyone else think it is crazy that there is no direct access from going north on either I-295 or the New Jersey Turnpike to get to the AC Expressway? One big highway crosses two other big ones, and they don't bother putting in ramps from either.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM

From 295, you can also get off on Exit 28 (Rt 168) and either make a left at the exit and just circle back to 295S or make a right and stay on 168S until it hits 42S (if you stop at the 295 rest area and ask, this is the way they suggest).
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From 295, you can also get off on Exit 28 (Rt 168) and either make a left at the exit and just circle back to 295S or make a right and stay on 168S until it hits 42S (if you stop at the 295 rest area and ask, this is the way they suggest).

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on 42 N traffic, it might make more sense to go from I-295 N to 42 N to exit 1C (Market Street), go left at the exit, then get back onto 42 S towards the AC Expressway.

One would be halfway to this 1C exit on 42N anyway if trying to stay on 295 N, so why go out of the way to 168?