Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Hustler NL tournament -- faces with button raise holding K9

Hustler Monday tournament. $125 buy-in with one rebuy. 1500 chips for each so 3000 in total. About 130 entrants and we are down around 30 -- pays top 18 or so. I have about 10k in chips with the blinds at 300/600 and 75 ante so there is close to 1500 in pot each hand before betting. I'm about 3rd in chips at my table, but probably around average for all participants.

Folded to button (which is pretty rare at this table). Button makes it 2000. I'm in BB and have K9o. The button is good LAG player. He has shown the ability to fold a hand. Another consideration... a few orbits before there were 4 limpers and I pushed with A6, he agonized and folded, but there was one caller who had 55 and I won the race. He clearly wasn't happy with his fold that time.

So what do you do in my shoes? Do you fold? Call and see what happens, call and do a stop and go? Push. Please let me know what and why? Results to follow.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Hustler NL tournament -- faces with button raise holding K9

I think I would probably just fold this. It is true that you may have the best hand, but what are your options? If you just call, you can easily get pushed off the hand when any non K9 flop comes down. Raising all in puts your entire tourney on the line with a bad hand. A hand that if called, is likely dominated. You have already pushed with a weak hand, and this guy will not forget that.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 AM

Push.

Not because you have the best hand (although you might) but because he is opening a lot of hands on the button that he will not call a shove with.

Pot is too small for a stop and go (you can't shove 8k into the 4k pot) and it is too big for a go and go.

Your hand is not big enough to play on its value and live players fold KQ/KJ/KT too much to preflop shoves so you are not often dominated when you do get your shove called.

Calling and reevaluating is silly because you will miss most flops and you are forgoing a lot of pf fold equity.

If you are good with reverse tells you should quietly do the opposite of what you did on the A6o hand.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 AM

jam is fine, so is wait an orbit because he's gonna call u light this time .
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 AM

Meh, I just fold it because I usually assume they call in spots like this.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 PM

I pushed for pretty much the exact reason that Cornell pointed out. I put myself in the button's shoes. It was fairly rare that it would get folded to the button in this spot with the blinds and antes so large so there were very few hands that he would not raise with. He also wasn't the kind of player to limp from the button knowing that I would likely smell weakness and raise him off his hand. So therefore his range was close to any two cards -- any pair, any A, K, Q, and connectors, two gappers, etc.

I also didn't feel like he was reckless, so he was likely to fold a large % of the hands in his range. Perhaps as high as 70-80%. Do you think this is too high?

Last, even if he called, I would not be a terrible shape to most of these hands. The only hands I really don't want to see are 99-AA, AK-A9 and KQ-KT, and as one of you pointed out, there's a good chance he doesn't call with the K hands given that I could easily have an A.

The pot represented a 3rd of my stack. I'm not sure how this could be a good fold.