Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Sushi discovers a leak

I have been very busy in school, so my poker career will have to wait some [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I've also noted I have become a Pooh-Bah (how did that happen? Don't feel expertly at all). So I should try to make a more serious post soon? I will get back to that.

Anyway, haven't played in two weeks or so, but trying to improve reading 'How good is your limit hold'em', by Byron Jacobs. I like the book very much and I understad a sequel will come soon. So check it out!

Here is a hand from the book ( hand 13 ), that made me discover a leak I subconsciously have known about.

Hero is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Button is Dmitri. Dimitri is a reasonable TAG who is very aggro postflop. His weakness is that he can sometimes be too aggro post-flop without thinking enough. He focus too much on his own hand. Occasionally he goes on tilt and bets his hands too hard. We also know pf that he won't fool around with 87s, 22 etc.

Pf: Hero raise, BTN re-raises, Hero calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BTN bets, Hero raises, BTN calls.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bet, BTN call

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero???

Queston1: Suppose instead Dimitri 3-bets the flop. What's ur play?

Queston2: What's ur river line?

Queston3: In the light of Q1 and Q2 what leak do u think sushi discovered?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Sushi discovers a leak

I'd bet/3 bet the river. I think it's more likely he has a worse hand when he raises the river, not many hearts make sense, J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would've put in more action with TP+FD, and we know he's not screwing around with suited connectors. KQ would usually 3 bet the flop, and should be raising the turn when he hit.

I'd be tempted to sexy the river, but I think leading is better as hands like KTs/QTs will check behind, and from the description it sounds like he might pump the flop with AK/AQ, and if he's really overaggro he might raise the river anyway.

If he 3 bets the flop I would probably cap. Puts us in a sort of awkward position when a K or Q falls, but oh well.

Now I'm gonna see what Byron says.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:28 PM

#1- I would likely call a three bet on the flop not raise it

#2- On the river I think this player can bet hands he wouldn't call with. So I check/call willing to put in one that he doesn't have the flush but not willing to put in two

Sushi bets that river?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I check/call

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thats nitty!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's nitty

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah maybe. But we are only ahead of about half his preflop range I think. Some of his range he won't call a bet with but might be induced to try and move us off our winning hand- lastly of course, and I guess thats the nitty part. I only want to pay off 1 when does have us beat.

The only reason I think you might be right ( oh wait a minute you didn't commit to any line did you) is part of his preflop range would have hit a set and he would have been on that by the flop or turn. I figure when Sushi shares the "rest of the story" I'll learn something from it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 PM

I probably going to be butchering this pretty badly:

Question 1: Which hands 3-bet this on the flop. JJ,TT,44,JT(s), overpair (very likely). I have seen some enourmously aggressive opponents that would cap KQ (especially if they are suited and have a BDFD as well) Odds are 12-1 so I'll call this street and given the turn and river I still call down. damn, I'm a calling station... *edit* I call down, because I can improve on many of his hands (overpair,2pr)
Question 2: bet/fold
Question 3: I don't know, that you fall in love with TPTK too much?

Did I fail?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Check/raise the river
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1- I would likely call a three bet on the flop not raise it

#2- On the river I think this player can bet hands he wouldn't call with. So I check/call willing to put in one that he doesn't have the flush but not willing to put in two

Sushi bets that river?

[/ QUOTE ]
What's he betting that he's not at least calling? That plus the overaggro read means we bet/3 the river. If we think the pf 3bet plus the post flop calldown is Ax a lot more than it is KJ/KT, and we don't think he'll raise an ace, then c/r. A c/c is really tight.

If he threes the flop, I just c/c down.

I have no clue what leak you discovered. You don't c/r rivers enough?

note: I've edited this post three times, and I'm not sure if it's coherent anymore. My bad.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's nitty

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah maybe. But we are only ahead of about half his preflop range I think. Some of his range he won't call a bet with but might be induced to try and move us off our winning hand- lastly of course, and I guess thats the nitty part. I only want to pay off 1 when does have us beat.

The only reason I think you might be right ( oh wait a minute you didn't commit to any line did you) is part of his preflop range would have hit a set and he would have been on that by the flop or turn. I figure when Sushi shares the "rest of the story" I'll learn something from it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you came up with your ranges, but given the way the hand has progressed, I'd say were ahead of him 99.99% of the time.

As for the leak, I'm guessing that Sushi is shutting down prematurely after being 3bet on the flop.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Is there any hand which beats us, given that we can narrow down button's range?

As said above, KQ prolly 3-bets the flop, so does AA. Any other set looks unlikely given the action. Suited connectors are not played by villain, so wtf? Bet/raise, or, given villain's aggressivity, take a stab at check/raise here.