Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Razz Heads Up

if you never open complete the BI HU you are probably playing well IMO

this possibly/probably also goes for S8
Old 11-08-2007, 01:51 AM

By the way I think it's weird that you want to play heads up with a small bankroll. The swings are going to be hilarious. It's tilt inducing, and you're not even really good at full ring, much less medium ring, much less short handed, much less heads up. Heads up play demands not only a lot of experience at the actual game, but ALSO a lot of experience with heads up and short handed play in general - these are not simple concepts and it's something I struggle with after having played poker constantly for a few years.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The swings are going to be hilarious. It's tilt inducing, and you're not even really good at full ring, much less medium ring, much less short handed, much less heads up. Heads up play demands not only a lot of experience at the actual game, but ALSO a lot of experience with heads up and short handed play in general - these are not simple concepts

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in case you missed it the first time.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 AM

Thank you for all the answer.
About the hole cards of the villain, usually when I play HU I have always open the "instant hand history" to look the mucked cards in the case of a showdown. The fact is that this guy seemed like a crazy bluffer: two times he played with absolutely NOTHING calling raise and reraise - I had a wheel. That's why I thought to be almost always in a better position.
This hand was important cause from this point of the game I started to play focusing more on my starting hands...finally I won an HU after three consecutive defeats [I think before that I played like a drunk or something like that]!

Praxising, I think we are exactly in the same situation, but probably I am in the worse one: NO BANKROLL.
It is interesting what you wrote about 0.50/1 (Ante 0.05) on PS cause yesterday I watched two guy in a table and they seemed to me terrible (I could say iper-passive). Nevertheless I tought "Don't be sick. Don't play out of bankroll" and I played my HU... which now you tell me was a stupid thing cause HU it is not good for my kind of bankroll! [Thanks for opening my eyes]
Just to explain better why I started with HU: the reason is that I found here a link for the page of a guy that built is BR playing almost just Razz HU.
So, considering that I will leave the HU experience for this period (waiting for more experience) following your advice, what kind of solution should I find to play Razz (which I really enjoy)?
Do you think that for cash game on PS (the previous stake) I should wait for good tables full ring, entering with 5 and then playing something like "Hit and Run"?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 AM

Antoher question: what is the meaning of "IMO"?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 AM

IMO = In My Opinion.

You might try Full Tilt which at least has .25/.5 razz instead of .5/1. You still need $150 or so for a "real" bankroll but like many others I started with something like $60 and built it into something. I think I also went broke and redeposited at some point though.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Oh, and on full tilt it's possible to get rakeback (a percentage of the rake that you pay, gets paid back to you once a month) which is really key at low stakes. The first 2 months I played I basically broke even, and only "made money" because I was getting rakeback payments.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and on full tilt it's essential to get rakeback (a percentage of the rake that you pay, gets paid back to you once a month) which is really key at low stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't already have a real money account on Full Tilt, find a rakeback site that you like and sign up thru them when you make your account. (If you're not in the US, 2+2 has a nice bonus present for you if you sign up thru them). GL on your journey!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for all this advice.

About FTP and rakeback I already have an account with rakeback but I never made a deposit: I would like to put money there with what I earned playing on PS (it is weird, I know, but it is part of my way of thinking about the game).

My basic problem is that I deposited just few euro on PS and I would like to build everything from that (avoiding to be broke). I consider it as an esperiment and a way to learn how to play in BR not going on tilt and being focus (solving with patience some limits in my approach to the game)... that's why it is so difficult to play out of BR in Razz tables which are too big for my BR now.

I hope this will be a long, interesting journey full of good experiences: thanks for "GL". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM

I don't know how much you have in your BR but it sounds like "not much". That's OK but just remember that variance makes fools of us all.

I'm a semi-bankroll nit. I won't play any game regularly that I don't have 300bb for. I'll take shots at higher games sometimes, but only if, after losing a set amount in that game, I'll still have 300bb at my regular level. And I am super selecting about game selective in those instances... game selection in HU sngs is basically non-existent, right?

It might be a good idea to take up some other game that PS offers, that has lower limits, and build up from there... to each his own. Personally with no bankroll I'd be grinding out bonus money if I could, but that's just me. UltimateBet is a pretty good place for that.