Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Funeral thoughts

I went to a funeral for my friend's father over the weekend, and was dreading it. But I actually enjoyed the experience, for a couple of reasons.

(1) I got to hear a few moving speeches about the deceased, which gave me some more insight about my friend;
(2) I had the chance to speak to a group of people that I had not seen for years.

It also helped that the deceased was elderly and had endured health problems for years, which meant that the death was hardly unexpected.

So, I guess the point is that these events are not necessarily depressing for all, even though I have been to a few tear-jerkers.

One fascinating thing is to hear the different types of people speak. In this case, a few members of the immediate family spoke, and a few close friends. But there were a couple of people who spoke who really didn't know the deceased that well. And one used it as an opportunity to discuss his own religious views.

There was also a kid who looked about 7 years old, presumably a great-nephew or something like that. He essentially got up, said he was not even sure how he was related, but that he liked the guy.

Anyway, I leave you with a couple of questions.

(1) Have you had similarly "enjoyable" funerals?
(2) Are you the type who is likely to speak at a funeral?