Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

I started Prozac about 2 months ago after years of knowing I needed medication,but avoided it. It has really helped me immensely. I dont feel drugged at all, just not iritable all the time and I no longer have anxiety attacks.

They only side effects I have had where I couldnt sleep well for the first week. And it takes me a long time to "Climax" during sex (OBV a sweet side effect)
Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anti depresents work but they also suck, in my case im sick of taking them. so i stoped. they made me lose weight and made me into a diff person. ive ben off them for a long time now and my next step to fixing depresion is to just get it over with if it comes to a point where i cant stand it n e more. i actualy had the worst day of my life 3 days ago. very scary week for me. but im still hear n trying hard to get by. i should actualy start on the anti depresent again. if your depresed and suicidal take it. but if it dosent work like my case just try to find happiness some how...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your post Nicky. gl.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Took paxil for 1 year and a half.

Even if I was suicidal at the time, if I could go back, I wouldn't use any anti-depressant.

If you can get over your depression without it, I suggest you do so.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:55 PM

There's plenty of clinical evidence showing that anti-depressants work, at least of a percentage of people. If one type doesn't work then another probably will. They have various side effects, including a change in personality. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. My mother takes SSRIs and they help her a lot.

There are a variety of nutritional supplements that have shown anti-depressant properties in preliminary trials. The two main ones are 5-HTP and Omega 3. Personally I take both and a vitamin pill each day, which seems to keep me stable.

Looks at wiki for tons of info.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Took paxil for 1 year and a half.

Even if I was suicidal at the time, if I could go back, I wouldn't use any anti-depressant.

If you can get over your depression without it, I suggest you do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's plenty of clinical evidence showing that anti-depressants work, at least of a percentage of people. If one type doesn't work then another probably will. They have various side effects, including a change in personality. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. My mother takes SSRIs and they help her a lot.

There are a variety of nutritional supplements that have shown anti-depressant properties in preliminary trials. The two main ones are 5-HTP and Omega 3. Personally I take both and a vitamin pill each day, which seems to keep me stable.

Looks at wiki for tons of info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very useful.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 PM

Out of curiosity more than criticism, why is the thinking on this forum so unsophisticated when it comes to matters of science?

Presumably the OP was evaluated for symptoms of major depression and prescribed an antidepressant. In his mind the logical next step is to ask for lay-opinions about whether or not that class of medication is helpful? And then the question is seriously entertained? Some of the responses even reminding me of the "home remedy" thread from a few weeks back.

I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education, there is a clearly decipherable underlying level of critical thinking and logic permeating through even the most recreational threads whereas in this forum, where the average age rates to be a decade older and the average level of education almost certainly includes at least some college, you are more likely to run across a comment about how grandma cures the hiccoughs than you are to stumble across a sound criticism of some flimsy thinking.

It's just quite striking to juxtapose erudite, professional-level film critiques with campfirey 20-questions exerpts oozing with superstition and inanity.

I imagine my description of this observation will piss everyone off, but I suppose that type of response would only bolster my suspicions.

Irieguy
Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education, there is a clearly decipherable underlying level of critical thinking and logic permeating through even the most recreational threads whereas in this forum, where the average age rates to be a decade older and the average level of education almost certainly includes at least some college,

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...16#Post12033282

Sigh*

Irieguy, I just read through this and I have not found anything that suggest that someone should stop taking A med for B med.

It seems that the OP was looking for a bit of support, wondering if they were alone with depression. They were also wondering how many attempts it took for a proper dose/ med.

So, yes, some people admitted that they took x med and went to y med. There is nothing wrong with this. I did not see any thing proscribed here, as you seem to imply.

I took anti-depressants years ago. I went through about six meds with no avail. I think that hearing that you are not alone is an "upper," if you will. As a "doctor," you must have a great pulse for all of your patients if you are this insensitive. And yes, that was an insult.

I think BBV4Life you have to take more for face value. I hope that you can re-read this with a better interpretation.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Presumably the OP was evaluated for symptoms of major depression and prescribed an antidepressant. In his mind the logical next step is to ask for lay-opinions about whether or not that class of medication is helpful? And then the question is seriously entertained? Some of the responses even reminding me of the "home remedy" thread from a few weeks back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he ever say if a doctor prescribed him medication? I thought he was toying with the idea. Asking for lay-opinions isn't uncommon, especially when these types of medications are so widely prescribed now.

What surprises me is how many people on these forums have tried some form of antidepressant. I'm curious what percent of the population has actually tried it. I think people are "seriously entertaining" the question because they want to help. They feel empathy.

Anyway, I don't quite get what your point is Irieguy. Are you saying that it is weird to discuss a doctor's prescribed treatment with lay people on an internet forum? If a doctor told me that I might want to try taking Paxil or something, I might want to ask some of my friends and even the forums if anyone has tried it and what they thought of it. I just don't get what you find so objectionable about that. Could you explain which part you found "superstition" and "flimsy thinking"?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 AM

I have been on Lexapro (or Celexa, which is similar) for 2 years. I have a strong history of depression in my family, but despite this, when I became depressed I fought going on medication.

I don't know why I did. I tried other things, I went to therapy every week, focused on getting sunlight (harder than it sounds when you don't want to leave the house ever), exercise, good diet.

After about 3 months of therapy, I started on medication. It took a few weeks to start working, but when it did, it was like having a weight taken off my back. They didn't make me giddy or silly, they just made life ok again.

I haven't had problems with side affects. They have not affected my sex drive at all, you might even say they increased it, but I think getting past the depression was a factor there.

Because of my family history and my current life situation, I have not tried to go off the medication. I think there's a good chance I will take them for the rest of my life, and I'm ok with that.