Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-25-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Anti-depressants

So it doesn't take too much to work out why I'm posting this!

Have thought about taking the pills for a while.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience that they would like to share on this subject?

ie do they work?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

Have you tried alcohol?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 AM

But really I would also be interested in hearing accounts from a couple people who have taken them over a long period.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 AM

My father is a psychiatrist, and I have defended psychotics in court, so I am eminently qualified to answer this question.

Of course, they work. And there are a variety of them out there. If there is no improvement after 4-6 weeks, a doctor would probably try another.

Whether they should be taken "over a long period" is a whole other question.

But needless to say, not all conditions merit anti-depressants.

Has a doctor recommended these for you and you are debating whether to go along with the plan? I hope you weren't planning to self-medicate, somehow.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My father is a psychiatrist, and I have defended psychotics in court, so I am eminently qualified to answer this question.

Of course, they work. And there are a variety of them out there. If there is no improvement after 4-6 weeks, a doctor would probably try another.

Whether they should be taken "over a long period" is a whole other question.

But needless to say, not all conditions merit anti-depressants.

Has a doctor recommended these for you and you are debating whether to go along with the plan? I hope you weren't planning to self-medicate, somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your response.

I too have defended psyhotics in court, but that's a bit of a different issue, right?

Has your father said that they work? (Or implied this in the course of conversation?)

I guess there wouldn't be such a demand for them if they didn't?

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Definitely not planning to self-medicate don't worry!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM

I was kidding about being qualified to answer the question.

But for what it's worth, I have had many conversations with my father when the topic came up, and I'm sure he believes that they work and considers them an important tool.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was kidding about being qualified to answer the question.

But for what it's worth, I have had many conversations with my father when the topic came up, and I'm sure he believes that they work and considers them an important tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

doh irony detector ON!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM

I have taken them on and off for the last few years and yes, overall have made a huge difference.
It took a long time for me to recognize and then admit to having depression. I really believe that it took away two years of my life.
Anyway it was a process of trial and error to find the right medication. I was told by a neighbor who is a psychiatrist that it is pretty common to try three medications to find the right one and it took six months. The side effects of the medication at times were worse than the depression itself. For me the side effect was anxiety, very jittery and quick to react to even the most minor things. Driving one night in bad weather and I get so scared that I started to cry uncontrollably, not something I would normally do. I hated feeling crazy. Because of it I would stick close to home. The side effects would cause me to stop taking them. Eventually I would talk with my doctor about another one. Eventually I found one that worked for the depression and although there were side effects, not anxiety, I could live with them.
After a year or so I was able to get off of them for a few years. I just recently started again, finally recognizing my symptoms and knowing what would be the best course of action. I refuse to lose years of my life again.
I was also able to find a medication in which, for me, works really well and the side effects are good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you choose to see someone and start a medication be prepared that it can take time but it is worth it.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your post - appreciate it.