Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 10-20-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Prestigious Careers

my sister teaches special ed, and i think that is pretty noble, though i dno about prestigious. i definitely couldnt do it. i dont have the patience, and that is def something not everyone can do. shes not the biggest pine cone in the tree, but its without a doubt admirable. as far as prestige.. starting a company from the ground up is pretty awesome, creating jobs, running a business, not a lot better than that. doctor also comes to mind ofc, saving lives etc etc. all of these things are things that i cant and choose not to do, so that counts for something in my book.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:18 AM

working class hero
Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whenever i just start talking about cool [censored] i know about the world, stuff that isn't in books, they eat it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think every teacher I have ever liked has done this. Teachers that read out of the book and lecture are laaaaame.

My favorite teachers didn't feel like teachers. They were people I could relate to, and they talked about interesting topics, rather than just explain how to find the range of a function or something.

I have to assume this is pretty much standard.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Symphony conductor.

I think basicly any field that is really rough to get into.

Also, lol at fireman, some are good but theres so many screwups that can't find another job. Same with the military.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM

Yeah a lot of you guys are confusing respectability with prestige. Just being in the military is not prestigious, being a general or an admiral is.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The occupations seen by the fewest people as having very great prestige were: real-estate brokers (6%), stockbrokers (11%), business executives (11%), actors (12%), union leaders (12%) and journalists (12%).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good example of why surveys are [censored]. People say answers they think people want to hear, and not what they really believe.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd say most prestigious is probably supreme court chief justice. you get less political ire than president, and everyone respects the institution.

[/ QUOTE ]

pssssh, the Justices are just glorified bloggers
Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i certainly don't teach for the money or the prestige...any teacher will tell you it's for the summers! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] getting paid to wake up at noon, play poker all day and drink all night makes sept-may worth it...

i will say, however, that when i'm teaching, and i have literally every set of eyes in the room on me, hanging on my every word, because they're interested and learning...that's awesome. awesome.

i teach adhd kids for the most part (with autistic/bi-polar/asperger's kid thrown in), so those moments are few and far between, but i had a couple this week..and they always seem to come off the cuff...whenever i just start talking about cool [censored] i know about the world, stuff that isn't in books, they eat it up.

so yeah, i doubt 'teacher' makes it high on 'prestigious careers' lists, but there are moments where you can literally feel your worth.

then, you go home and drink.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah a lot of you guys are confusing respectability with prestige. Just being in the military is not prestigious, being a general or an admiral is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. People are defining the word differently in this thread, which is probably another problem with that survey. You'll find a few definitions, but the one I most commonly associate with prestige is:

"a high standing achieved through success or influence or wealth etc."

I think taking a "noble" profession, which may not be particularly hard to gain access to or acquire the skills to become qualified for, is not necessarily a "prestigous" one merely because of the perceived social benefit or physical risk. I probably associate the word more closely with "elite" than "respect".
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

Americans view firefighters and doctors as having the most prestigious professions, according to a recent Harris Interactive poll.

When read a list of different occupations, 63% of respondents to the telephone poll said they feel firefighters have "very great" prestige, while 58% said doctors do. Other professions that were seen as having very great prestige included: nurses (55%), scientists (54%), teachers (52%) and military officers (51%).

The occupations seen by the fewest people as having very great prestige were: real-estate brokers (6%), stockbrokers (11%), business executives (11%), actors (12%), union leaders (12%) and journalists (12%).

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you "lol"? The data you posted seems to be the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

think of the type of ppl who take the time to go through a phone survey.

[/ QUOTE ]

people from every age group, people from every type of education bracket, people from all income brackets (even desperate housewives of millionaires get lonely and answer surveys), etc. If the results are imbalanced (too many men, not enough older people, etc), survey results are always weighted by age, gender and region to ensure that they are accurate representations of the genpop. Depending on sample size survey results are accurate within 2-3% 19 times out of 20.