Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Brian Townsend\'s Downswing (for all the Brian Townsend haters)

Playing lots of hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so what!!! With that theory all the older player would be winning LOL. Who can you remember hands and plays when you are playing 4 or 5 games at the same time. On line is no match for live poker.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing lots of hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so what!!! With that theory all the older player would be winning LOL. Who can you remember hands and plays when you are playing 4 or 5 games at the same time. On line is no match for live poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Live 1/2NL plays like 10/20NL online.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Schaudenfreude
Old 08-14-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Every time Townsend experiences a downswing of magnitude, he blames his play. He asks himself tough questions about his psychological/emotional state and his concentration. He looks on the problem in terms of opponents, to paraphrase "I should be able to crush these guys."

He is headed for a classic gambler's ruin where the variance kills him because he refuses to recognize that such variance is normal and expected and will have a nasty feedback effect on anyone's psychological/emotional state until their play really does begin to suffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is complete nonsense, Townsend probably has less ego than any other top pro in that regard. He took a shot in the big live game during the WSOP and got killed for whatever reason, but who can blame him for trying? He may go busto but I have no doubt that he'll come back.

I'm as jealous of Townsend as anyone, but I don't wish him bad luck or anything, I have great respect for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

spacejanitor, yur post is complete nonsense. everything u say in yur post is complete contradictions of yur own statements. yur jealous yet u have respect for him. he may go busto but u have no doubt he'll come back. he took a shot in the big game but got killed but who can blame him for trying. jesus christ man, u sound like a woman......make up yur damn mind.

bustedromo has given in great detail, the play book for not making the same mistakes brian is making........and u want to chime in with yur lame "nonsense" acusations and defend brians ego when u dont even know brian personally.

any idiot can see by brian's actions alone that he has a huge ego. brian should have dropped down a long time ago. but thats the other problem. brian is too used to recovering quickly like he's done before in the past. brian probably attributes this to his "skill". yes brian, skill and "card cooperation".

i always thought brian was spoiled with the cards. i saw how he won a lot of his hands. i noticed the guy never really lost a session and if he did, he recovered right away the next day. i been playing for years and i know for a fact, it is hard to win as consistently as brian did. he was on a tremendous run.

but no, brian and his ego put all the credit on his "skill".

well brian, if yur so skillfull, then why are u starting to question yur own game? poker is a simple math game right? sounds like u had it all figured out, right? so whats the problem now?

bustedromo, you nailed it all perfectly.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you remember hands and plays when you are playing 4 or 5 games at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

i can. very easily by the way. i've met plenty of people smarter than me so i don't doubt for a sec that other people can too (sbrugby prolly bein one of them). i'm sorry u r not smart enough to do that sort of thing. so i don't even expect u to understand.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM

I suspect jealously is one reason. Another is bitter folks who are unable to perform to a high level at poker, their brains cannot get their head around the fact it is their ineptitude hindering them from paralleling others great success so they simply write it all off as variance and kick the winners when they are down.

A small percentage will have more noble reasons for their disdain.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM

where did Townsend's cash come from? i get the impression he did not start playing cards with little to no money and ran it up to the millions he had at one point. Was he a success at something before poker? if he did get all that cash just from playing cards he was on one sick run for quite a while before his downswing
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)
2) IIRC, he said he was the best NL Holdem player in the world...or something like that. People hate that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed- that rubbed me the wrong way, especially when he added something to the effect of "you may think I'm bragging, but I'm not the type of person who brags."

So not only is he the best NLHE player in the world, but he's modest to boot. Kind of rolled my eyes at that one.

Otherwise, he seems like a decent guy and I admire how he shows discipline in both his poker and personal spending. I don't dislike him, but when you say you're the best in the world at something, you're asking to be taken down a notch or two.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Live 1/2NL plays like 10/20NL online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice level.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM

What's in naples coffee this morning? that might be the worst comment i have ever seen, How else do you want to measure a poker player. Commen sense tells me that the best players in the world play the highest stakes, Most people think ivey is the best in the world, that is because of his results in the high stakes games, big tournaments and the battle with andy beal, not because he plays 1-2 limit poker, There have been pro's like DN, PA, Greenstein who have all been quoted as saying Brian is one of the best players and if naples isn't to impressed with brians play maybe he should play him and see how good he really is