Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 AM

Default 98s rivers a flush

Villian in this hand is 30/5, fairly passive. Looking for thoughts on all streets. I double barrel the turn because I want to get rid of fd's, because the RIO of a fd hanging around is nasty. Of course he hangs around and the river brings the flush. Whats your line on this river? Bet/call, bet/fold or check/call?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $25.60
BTN: $71.10
SB: $29.95
Hero (BB): $50.90
UTG: $49.75

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks

Flop: ($1.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, BTN calls $3.50, SB calls $2.50

Turn: ($12) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $7</font>, BTN calls $7, SB folds

River: ($26) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero???
Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: 98s rivers a flush

I would bet around 16. I think all he has is a jack and don't want to scare him off. He checks behind too often if we try a checkraise.
I like your turn bet.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 AM

bet fold i think. not sure if the pot odds would b too sick but from a passive person i normally make it like 19 and fold to a shove.no way he shoves much worse and he deff calls with a ton of hands that we crush
Old 11-10-2007, 03:23 AM

vs a pasive villain I will generally check the turn..A passive is likely to either bet very weakly or even check it thru and give you a free card...I do not see this villain folding a higher FD ever...If villain has a history of when he does bet he bets big(close to pot or even over betting the pot) a blocking bet on the turn would clearly be correct...vs a passive villain we generally do not need to worry about getting raised off of our draw..

As played on the river I make a VB of about $15..If villain shoves I think we have to fold depending on pot odds..If villain shoves for us to be ahead villain would have to hold 2 of the 3 lower hearts and the board is paired...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:45 AM

check the turn, you have like 0 FE
Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check the turn, you have like 0 FE

[/ QUOTE ]

0 FE but in a slightly different circumstance vs. 1 opponent...what about a blocking bet..to draw slightly unprofitably but most likely easily more than made up for on river if it hits....??
Old 11-10-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
0 FE but in a slightly different circumstance vs. 1 opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

don't think i understand what you are saying.

[ QUOTE ]
what about a blocking bet..to draw slightly unprofitably but most likely easily more than made up for on river if it hits....??

[/ QUOTE ]

unecessary given your relative position and the strength of your draw.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 AM

No I mean given a different circumstance that is basically exactly like this....except there's only the button to contend with (like say hero raised UTG-CO and got called by button) and he called our flop bet (and assuming we have 0 or close to 0 FE) what do you think of a blocking bet like I described?...what if we only had the flush draw and no straight draws?.....what if we only had an OESD?

Also in a situation like that and no assumptions given to you by me about FE do you think a smaller bet like 6.5 or 7 or a larger bet like 8.5 - 9.5 would be better...or is no bet in fact better?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 AM

i generally don't like blocking bets here. If he's agro enough to bet the turn he's agro enough to raise your bet (and sometimes more inclined to). I'd just stay clear of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Also in a situation like that and no assumptions given to you by me about FE do you think a smaller bet like 6.5 or 7 or a larger bet like 8.5 - 9.5 would be better...or is no bet in fact better?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably no bet because that's a terrible turn card. The size just depends on what you think will get them to fold. Sorry i'm not going into more detail, but it is a pretty vague question. A turn semi-bluff depends on alot of factors.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:09 AM

turn bet is fine, we have a draw to a monster.

he can have all sorts of junk which folds on the turn. all his pocket pairs below jacks that failed to connect get mucked, weak jacks occasionally hit the dirt.
also it's a limped pot so there's no telling how high his draw is if he's on one.
as played I think he has a weak made hand or was drawing. turn call is consistent with a three.
b/f 16 as played.

/edit oops, multiway.