Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Documentaries

I was being a little sarcastic on the Hookers on the Point thing. It's one of those so-bad-it's-good things to me, but doesn't belong alongside Pumping Iron or many of the others mentioned. American Pimp was legitimately well done IMO.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suzzer,

Riding Giants is another one about surfing that I really liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen Endless Summer? Old doccumentary following two surfers going around the world.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also there was a good documentary about Rikers island prison but i can't remember the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it Lock-up: The Prisoners of Rikers Island?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoyed The Fog of War which is about former secretary of Defense Robert Mcnamara. It gave a interesting historical account but I thought the best parts were the words of wisdom Mcnamara himself provides as the film moves along.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found Fog of War absolutely fascinating. You're listening to one of the leaders of the US talk about being on the edge of total nuclear war 3 times and only escaping because they were lucky.

Somehow you always feel the guys at the top know more than you. It's scary to realize they don't.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Riding Giants is another one about surfing that I really liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed Step Into Liquid as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:16 PM

The Fog of War is a great movie. I'm amazed still at the moral compromises that McNamara is willing to accept in himself.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 PM

I saw one titled The Cats of Mirikitani this past Tribeca Film Festival. I'm not going to do the description justice, so from the website:

[ QUOTE ]
Eighty-year-old Jimmy Mirikitani survived the trauma of WWII internment camps, Hiroshima, and homelessness by creating art. But when 9/11 threatens his life on the New York City streets and a local filmmaker brings him to her home, the two embark on a journey to confront Jimmy's painful past. An intimate exploration of the lingering wounds of war and the healing powers of friendship and art, this documentary won the Audience Award at its premiere in the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, the filmmaker initially intended the film to chronicle four seasons in the life of a homeless NYC artist, until 9/11 happened and she ended up taking the guy in, at which point she learns his history (i.e. his being in an internment camp, his having his American passport revoked, etc.). It was very moving. Probably more so for me being that I'm Japanese-American. But I recommend it to all.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

Grizzly Man has some depth. It was interesting to see that someone with basically an "unsuccessful" life could do something original, defining himself. Even if he was incredibly stupid in some ways.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM

There was a "100 best" countdown on documentaries about a year ago in the UK. After it they showed "Touching The Void", a documentary film telling the story of two mountaineers who got in to difficulties up some *big* mountain in a snowstorm, with one of them breaking a leg.

film

book

Truly remarkable
Old 01-30-2007, 06:55 PM

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco -- pretty cool film whether or not you're a fan of Wilco's music. An interesting glimpse into the lives of working musicians. Filmed durring the recording of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Also chronicles the corporate fiasco that had the band dropping their label and signing a new one mid-production.

Comedian -- Kick a film that documents Jerry Seinfeld's return to stand-up post-sitcom. At the same time, documents a 'rookie' comedian working for a big break. Pretty intriguing.