Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Default The Trip-Hop/Chill/Dream Pop thread

wikipedia article on Trip Hop

I've got a true love for this music and I thought I'd give you guys a quick refresher course on it...

Down-Tempo, Chill, Dream Pop...It's called a lot of different things, but Trip Hop was first formed in the early 90s in England out of what was then called The Bristol Sound. It combined American hip-hop with deep groove drum and bass to present a sound that is both dreamy and danceable at the same time.

<u>Major Trip Hop and Post-Trip hop artists and albums:</u>

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Long considered the "masterpiece" of the genre, everybody has heard most of these songs - even if you don't recognize the titles! They're constantly used in movies, TV shows and advertisements.

Teardrop

Angel

Inertia Creeps

Dissolved Girl

Really, you've probably heard the whole album without knowing it! This is a great start in discovering Trip hop.

Portishead - Dummy

Portishead is probably best known for their huge mid-90s hit, Sour Times (live), but that would be a shame if you stopped there. Dummy is best described as a film noir soundtrack to a movie that was never made. It's absolutely gorgeous and a work you must listen to from beginning to end.

It also happens to have the sexiest song ever recorded:

Glory Box

Wandering Star (live)

Roads

Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular

Hooverphonic has at least three or four albums worth discovering, but their first is still, IMO, their best.

2Wicky

Inhaler

Zero 7 - Simple Things

and When it Falls

[/b]
This a British duo who often has guest vocalists on their tracks. Again, you've probably heard one or two of their songs:

In The Waiting Line

Home (live)

Passing By - don't watch the home-made video - it's stupid - just listen to this fabulous song!

Naturally, there's many others who could be labeled Trip Hop or Down-Tempo: Mazzy Star, Tricky, Azure Ray, Bjork, Morcheeba, Thievery Corporation, etc...if there's interest, I'll continue adding more to the thread...or anyone else who wishes to, please do!