Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Stars 30/60 Hi/Lo questionable spot

just looking for some input.. game had been playing relatively loose but not overly crazy.. this hand was the most crowded of my short session by far.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

Seat 1: $694
Hero: $1,971
Seat 4: $1,519
Seat 5: $51
Seat 6: $2,741.50
Seat 7: $1,959
Seat 8: $760

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (7.17 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls $16 and is all-in
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.85 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___all-in
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (8.85 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___all-in
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.85 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (11.85 BB)
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Stars 30/60 Hi/Lo questionable spot

With six people in the pot and four of them catching good, I think I'd just go ahead and give this up on fourth, maybe call a bet if I'm closing the action and hope to catch a 4, 8, or 7. Even though there are probably only ten or so low cards left in the deck, I think that may hurt our backdoor draws more than it helps our high chances.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With six people in the pot and four of them catching good, I think I'd just go ahead and give this up on fourth, maybe call a bet if I'm closing the action and hope to catch a 4, 8, or 7. Even though there are probably only ten or so low cards left in the deck, I think that may hurt our backdoor draws more than it helps our high chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the bet on 4th is definitly questionable and at the time it seemed like a good idea b/c of how passively the hand was played all around and the fact that there are several low's drawing to likely all the same upcards.. im not sure if it has much value though.. do you like the bet with two pair in that spot or is that questionable also?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you like the bet with two pair in that spot or is that questionable also?

[/ QUOTE ]

All these dead cards are just a huge PITA. I'm not at all sure you're in great shape against Seat 8, given the liveness of aces. But I'd probably have to run a bunch of things through twodimes to have any clue.

This hand has me wishing for Pokerstove 2.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:31 AM

While 765 is ordinarily a nice starter, three of your near straight cards are gone, as are a couple of your pair cards. And everyone has low cards. I limp in and call the completion, but I wouldn't be overly excited about it.

I don't play hands like this hoping to pair my door card. You're looking at three very nice low board, and your hand is kinda dead and crappy. I'd check and fold to a bet.

By fifth, your hand has become positively wretched. Two eights are gone, as is a Seven. If seat 7 has two bananas in the hole, he's still beating you for low. I honestly can't believe that you put money in the pot on this street.

On sixth, your two dead pair are likely winning the high side. I guess a bet looks OK, but I wouldn't be looking to build a giant pot. Definitely check the river.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:53 AM

For your own sake you need to build a time machine and go back so you can fold 5th street. You are 9th place in an 8 max 6 horse race.

4th looks like a fold too with all the dead cards and most people catching fairly well but calling here if you're going to play well later is probably okay. Unfortunately what happened is that you got yourself into this mess on 5th street. I really don't like your 6th street bet at all either.

I like your 3rd and 7th street play though.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:38 AM

dont think i would bet 4th but i wouldnt fold it if it was one bet back to me getting around 10-1 either. 5th i would c/f fast.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While 765 is ordinarily a nice starter, three of your near straight cards are gone, as are a couple of your pair cards. And everyone has low cards. I limp in and call the completion, but I wouldn't be overly excited about it.[ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

Imo, this hand/situation is just looking for trouble. 567 plays poorly in a sea full of players with low doorcards and even more so when a good chunk of your straight cards are out.

The fuller the lineup with low cards, the stronger(and even suited) the low hand needs to be.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play hands like this hoping to pair my door card. You're looking at three very nice low board, and your hand is kinda dead and crappy. I'd check and fold to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

how live do we estimate 4s, 6s and 7s to be at this stage? And what condtions would need to change to consider folding on 3rd? Also, someone mentioned an 8 as a possible catch for fifth though it seems problematic, does anyone fold it with the boards as in the hand?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:11 PM

I was at the table during this hand (but not involved in the hand). After the hand, I was thinking, "how the hell did Bill get to river?" I basically agree with Jackal's posts.