Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Move up? Stay put?

Are these numbers good enough to justify moving up? I have been playing for about 2 1/2 months and don't consider myself as skilled as a lot of posters here. I play for fun and a little side money. With that being said, I'd like to get some advice about when/if it's time to move up. It could be quite possible that these stats don't indicate enough info to tell?
[image]http://[/image]
Old 10-31-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Move up? Stay put?

yes move up.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 AM

Move up, take a shot. If you run bad at 2/4 just grind out some more 1/2, rinse and repeat.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 AM

Sc000t, that's pretty much what I figured the "right" answer would be. What amount of my online roll should I take a shot with? 10% 25%? I have played a few hundred hands at 2/4 and 3/6. It seems that I gete very "self concious" about my play when I move up. Not that the $ is an issue, but I think I get psyched out. OMG, i think I have issues, lol.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sc000t, that's pretty much what I figured the "right" answer would be. What amount of my online roll should I take a shot with? 10% 25%? I have played a few hundred hands at 2/4 and 3/6. It seems that I gete very "self concious" about my play when I move up. Not that the $ is an issue, but I think I get psyched out. OMG, i think I have issues, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing 2-4 and 3-6 on a 10k bankroll is fairly aggressive, especially considering you don't have a good handle on your expectation in those games, but it's not completely out of line.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 AM

Maybe just mix one 2/4 table into your usual 1/2 games until you win 5 or 6k more and can play full time there. Then when you have the roll you will feel alright stepping up since you have logged some hands at that level.

Try buying in for 300 at 2/4. It may help with getting psyched out, and the game really isnt radically different with 75bb from 100bbs. When you double that up in a game, don't rathole however, keep playing your game and try to have a few dominant sessions. Running 300 up past 1k a few times will help your confidence and your roll.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 AM

Honestly, if you really wanted to, you could probably just move up with your whole roll. You've been beating the 1/2 games for a good winrate over a pretty large sample, and 2/4 plays similar enough that I really doubt you could be anything but a winner at 2/4 over the long-term. If that's more aggressive than you want to be, just make sure you leave yourself a comfortable roll at 1/2 if you should lose.

Also, if you're trying to ease the transition, you can just table select extra well for 2/4, sitting whenever you see something juicy, but playing 1/2 on your other tables or when the games just generally aren't that good.

Finally, I have to say I'm really curious how you keep your W$SD so high when your VPIP and WTSD are both higher than mine. Do you have a low river aggression factor and see a lot of showdowns that way or are you just that super of a hand-reader? Do you tend to make a lot of small value bets on the river with big hands? I'm genuinely amazed you can have a W$SD of 53 playing that loosely.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe just mix one 2/4 table into your usual 1/2 games until you win 5 or 6k more and can play full time there. Then when you have the roll you will feel alright stepping up since you have logged some hands at that level.

Try buying in for 300 at 2/4. It may help with getting psyched out, and the game really isnt radically different with 75bb from 100bbs. When you double that up in a game, don't rathole however, keep playing your game and try to have a few dominant sessions. Running 300 up past 1k a few times will help your confidence and your roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I have moved up in the past, I found that short-stacking (~20BB buy in) helps me get used to the size of the pots at the new level. You can also use this opportunity to scope out your competition, see how aggressive everyone is, get some pokertracker stats on players, etc. If you know what you are doing, you can make a decent profit at it too (although significantly less than a good player who has a full stack)

But don't shortstack too long. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 PM

[/ QUOTE ]"Finally, I have to say I'm really curious how you keep your W$SD so high when your VPIP and WTSD are both higher than mine. Do you have a low river aggression factor and see a lot of showdowns that way or are you just that super of a hand-reader? Do you tend to make a lot of small value bets on the river with big hands? I'm genuinely amazed you can have a W$SD of 53 playing that loosely."

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my River aggros- $1=2.17 $2=2.19....I'm not very educated as to what exactly that means, but thats your answer.

I am by no means a "great hand reader", but I think I make some pretty good thin river calls. It seems that a lot of people at these low limits love to bluff obv. missed rivers and I've gotten good at picking them off. I don't know how this figures in though as it obv. doesn't happen a ton of times per session.

Thanks for the advice too!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here are my River aggros- $1=2.17 $2=2.19....I'm not very educated as to what exactly that means, but thats your answer.

I am by no means a "great hand reader", but I think I make some pretty good thin river calls. It seems that a lot of people at these low limits love to bluff obv. missed rivers and I've gotten good at picking them off. I don't know how this figures in though as it obv. doesn't happen a ton of times per session.

Thanks for the advice too!

[/ QUOTE ]

With the higher VPIP you probably get more people "taking shots" at you on the river be it bluffing and/or calling you to look up that you have a good hand.

It's sort of silly to make rash generalizations about 2/4 or 3/6 vs 1/2, etc because it changes too much. But one thing I've noticed is that the lower the game the less the overall aggression preflop.

For example, at 0.5/$1 if you sit down with someone aggro who is raising a lot and you 3 bet him, then often he clams right up. But at higher levels except to get it all in a lot more frequently with people that have more than just aces.

This will increase your need for bankroll, might be more inclined to tilt you, etc.

Also, it will change the game for you and make you think differently. I wouldn't necessarily say the higher games seem any higher though as there is a lot of exploitable play.