Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Pro Poker Player on \"Are You Smarter then a 5th Grader?\"

Hey anyone see that professional poker player on “Are you smarter then a 5th grader”? He was making a bunch of poker references it was pretty funny, he gave us poker players a good name by making it all the way to the final question but he decided not to gamble and opt out. He walked away with 500k, sad part he instantly knew the million dollar question when they asked it. I was wondering if anyone knew his name and his poker history?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Poker Player on \"Are You Smarter then a 5th Grader?\"

i watched this. i assumed since his best day was "just under 200k" that he's some donk who won the Sunday Million on some site and decided to go pro. I wonder if he's gonna take some of his winnings to the high stakes at full tilt.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i watched this. i assumed since his best day was "just under 200k" that he's some donk who won the Sunday Million on some site and decided to go pro. I wonder if he's gonna take some of his winnings to the high stakes at full tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not that kind of guy if he decided to walk away with 500k instead of trying the last question
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not some "donk." Made a WPT final table (among other accomplishments).

Alex Outhred is his name, but facts probably don't interest you.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Yeah that was an interesting episode to watch. He played the game well and I thought he did a good job bringing some respectability to his profession of poker player to the mass public. He did overdo it a bit with the poker references though. That was the first time that I saw someone with that profession on a mainstream game show.

It seemed like he would make a good player because he approached the gambling situations logically on the show and he didn't take the stupid risk of double or nothing on the last unknown question.

I think that show is fair up until the million dollar question because you're allowed to look at the question before deciding whether to answer. Then for the last question you have to risk almost all your money based only on the vague question subject. I feel like only a sick gambler or really rich person would take this risk.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 PM

link
Old 04-20-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
link

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it he must focus on live cash or strictly online based on those results.

Oh and I missed the very last question. They don't show you the final question do they? You just have to risk it all without seeing it? If so, that's a prety stupid rule. They do the same tihng on that dumb Identity show. If you get to the last question with your last "help" you can't use it.

Millionaire FTW!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not some "donk." Made a WPT final table (among other accomplishments).

Alex Outhred is his name, but facts probably don't interest you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Someone making one WPT final table proves they're not a donk that just got lucky in a tournament?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it he must focus on live cash or strictly online based on those results.

Oh and I missed the very last question. They don't show you the final question do they? You just have to risk it all without seeing it? If so, that's a prety stupid rule. They do the same tihng on that dumb Identity show. If you get to the last question with your last "help" you can't use it.

Millionaire FTW!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that's a stupid rule. He was allowed to look at the final topic, which was US History, which he claimed was his favourite subject. But they didn't have a "grade" associated with the topic so I'm not sure how he's supposed to know how hard it was going to be.

So he'd need to risk $475K (with $25K guaranteed) to win an extra $500K on a question of unknown difficulty.

By the way, the question was something like "who was the first US Secretary of the Treasury?" and he knew it instantly. I'm not American so I dont know how hard that question is, but I had no idea.

I wonder if it's possible that they would have given him a harder question if he chose to answer it, and then an easier one if he refuses, just to make him feel bad. That would probably break some kind of gameshow rule but that would be a nice kick in the teeth.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:43 PM

Hi pyedog,

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he did a good job bringing some respectability to his profession of poker player to the mass public. He did overdo it a bit with the poker references though. That was the first time that I saw someone with that profession on a mainstream game show.

[/ QUOTE ]

The show where they lock a bunch of strangers in a room together ("Unanimous," I think) until they decide which one of them gets a truckload of cash had one, as well. He was sort of a greasy-looking East Coast guy, i.e. very typical of many peoples' notions of a pro gambler, but he seemed like one of the more decent human beings to me. That was based on the first episode, the only one I watched.

That show was wacky: they obviously put together types that would be inclined to clash. They had a gay guy, a homophobe, an big oil exec, a greenpeace activist, a Black Panther, a neo-nazi, a baby rabbit, and a hungry tiger all in this little box. HOW WILL THESE FOLKS REACH AN AGREEMENT?????

P.S. Also, "Who was the 1st US Sec of the Treasury?" That is a VERY hard question for most Americans. I'm guessing that 5th graders are slightly more likely to know it than adults, since it's trivially unimportant and involves our government, and that's what we try to fill our kids' heads with over here.