Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 PM

Default This just means a lot to me I hope you can help

Hallo guys.

When I first found this forum I was very impressed by the knowledge and the experience of its users und so I have this last hope that you can help me.

When I fist started to play poker I was totally hooked and motivated to learn every aspect of this game. So I tryed my best, (expecting nothing), but winning a lot.

I also became addicted to the pokervids on you tube and pokertube (I really believe I wathced at least 90% availible) and Hsp even 2-3 times.

But unfortunatelly i cant handle money, I never had a seriouse Bankrollmanagement, and whenever I won I gave the money away playing Roulett,Blackjack,poker in higher limits, buying things I dont need and giving my money away.

You guys would never believe what I tryed to disceplin myself (talking to myself, reading artikles about Bankroull management, even meditation!)

But it all failed to succeed. In the last 6 months I went broke 8 times! and everytime I went broke It was hurting so much becouse poker is my everything. I have no girlfriend, not much friends and only work 20h a month. So I am constantly alone in my appartment with my computer and when I have poker in my life i am so happy but when its gone I feel depressed.

My main weakness is that I try to get what i lost in a session back throu playing in higher limits, Blackjack or Roulett. That always destroyed my bankroll and I AM AWARE OF IT.

But THATS the unbelievible Thing: even though I knowe it I still do it!

I hope you guys can share your experiences with me and give me an advice.

Thanks in advance for your help
and for the love to this Game
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: This just means a lot to me I hope you can help

1-800-GAMBLER
Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 PM

^^^

hehe, but seriously make use of the deposit limits if you must or alternatively it may be degrading and humiliating but just self exclude yourself and play play chips. When I go on tilt I switch to play chips and you can still play poker, still go all in with rags BECAUSE you are pissed or trying to chase losses. But lose no more than you can afford.

Seriously poker isn't a race to get to the highest limits possible in the quickest time.

Theres more to life than poker
Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 PM

"You guys would never believe what I tryed to disceplin myself (talking to myself, reading artikles about Bankroull management, even meditation!)"

why would we never believe that? reading about bankroll managemnet is good and meditation I believe teaches you about patience, which you NEED and are lacking. keep reading up on it and do what they say until you see yourself winning again consistently since your way of br managemnet is just f$#cked...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM

I really almost read every article I found on cardplayer about Bankrollmanagement, but it seems like in the heat of the moment I forget about everything I learned, wrote down or told myself - I could be up 300$ for the day if I somehow manage to loose 100$ back I tilt so hard that I blow throu my whole rolle, its scary. very often I t works and I accumulate a lot of money but in the end it all goes back in a few mouseklicks. But this has nothing to do with my skillevel ( I made the donkeytest-128 points) I can play 1$2$ and 2$4$ short handed Nl Holdem profitable: but I cant stand grinding the 0,25$0,50$ levels it seems so boring and unprofitable so my Bankrollmanagement is bad right from the point where i deposit
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 PM

Quitting poker and all gambling would be the most +EV thing for you to do.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 AM

this is an issue that your not alone in dealing with. Its common and it happens to many ppl. teaching discipline is hard, and you have done alot in tryin to improve this leak in your game( or so it seems) its easy for me to say" jsut dont do that" but its easy for me to say because I dont get urges to chase losses ( I guess Im lucky) but there are some things that I think may help ppl in ur spot

1) phsycally get up from ur computer and leave the room, for 10 minutes or so, especailly in cash games ( tournys youll get blinded off) DONT bother sitting out, or waiting for ur button or ANYTHING of this nature. Just leave. youll get timed out, and loose nothing. this will give you time to re-gather yourself.

2) ITS OK TO HAVE A LOOSING SESSION. dont think of yourself as having a loosing day, poker is not about making a certain amount of money everyday, its about making money in the longrun. you can have 4-5 loosing "days" and be the best NL player on the planent, it can and will happen that ur going to loose.

3.) Its alot easier to loose in poker than it is to win. You can nicely grind for a 5K hands and loose all ur profit in 50 hands by moving up in stakes when ur stuck and steaming, this is known as parlaying backwords.

4) remember that the money you have won in gambling is from poker, and the money your loosing is from degernative gambling. If you have won a substantial amount in poker, why would you try to win more in pure gambling? at least from parlaying backwords ur in ur own "realm" of poker. stick with what braught you to the dance in the first place.

5) moving down in stakes is hard for alot of people, but its much better to win at 50NL than it is to loose at 400NL. try to think of the amount of BB as aposed to actual amount of $$ invloved, alot of ppl I know will say " whatever its just another 50$ to call" but that 50$ is acutlly 12.5 BB. Look at the contrast between the show HSP and "cash poker" Doyle is sitting at HSP with 500k in front of him as the minimum buyin for that game, and then u see him playing cash poker with 25K in front of him-he played the same way. because its not the money at stake that matter its jsut BB's.

I dont know if any of this helped, this seems to be my strength in poker, the off felt mentality. I have a few lil thigns I do that help, me not tilt, but I have gone from winning/loosing 1K pots to playing 1c-2c on titan poker, with the same focus I had playing 500NL. so mabey its jsut makeup of a person. try to remeber that a big part of ur pssoible edge is that u can maintain ur edge. we could all crush world class pros if they went on insane donkey tilt after missing one draw, or loosing a flip. but they dont do that.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 AM

you have a gambling problem, seek help. (and not from the forums)
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM

I don't really know what to say (except seek serious help outside of the forums) but I don't see how it could be that hard to just say you aren't allowed to play above a certain limit or play roulette, etc.

That said, it is a problem many people face. I feel like a douche and if it were this easy you wouldn't be making this post but seriously just don't allow yourself to gamble except on limits you are rolled for.

Have an exact number of buyins you have to have in order to play a limit, a precise number will help you decide whether it is ok or not.
If you don't have at least 20 buying you simply are not allowed to play it, you have to play lower.
Roulette is something you should just never play at all
Old 11-21-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could be up 300$ for the day if I somehow manage to loose 100$ back I tilt so hard that I blow throu my whole roll

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

Yes it's scary when this happens. You get upset that you're not winning as much as you had been, you feel really sour, bitter and angry, and so you throw away all the rest of your money!

I was really pissed off this morning at losing $100 to a bad beat, so I went and lost another $350 in ten minutes just because I was angry!!