Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Default (stud8) misplayed hi-only hand?

I should know better than to get involved with high only hands, but this one seemed nice and I thought the J and T would probably fold at the least.

On 5th I think I am ahead 100% of the time... I don't think he calls me with a small pair here, although he's pretty bad. 6th makes me puke since I figure he had 2 pair on 5th. Should I fold there?

I then go on to make a flush. Great, just what I wanted.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (4.85 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.43 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.43 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.43 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (11.43 BB - $22.85)
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: (stud8) misplayed hi-only hand?

The raise on fifth is the only thing I might do differently. I'm not too worried about trip 5s with one dead, he may well have just a four card low here (maybe with a straight draw). These are the kind of hands where I'm often fine with just making sure a bet goes in on fifth and sixth, whether from me or opponent, because once I have Aces up, I'm committed to showdown unless beaten in sight but I have no scoop chances and opponent may.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 PM

It is hard not to play that hand given the large number of low cards that are dead. I think you have to call on 7th given he could be betting a low with a small two pair.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:48 PM

I'm hestitant to play this hand due to the fact that you have 2 cards to make your straight dead. The fact he pairs his door card is also scary, but I'm not sure, depends on if hes loose or tight. I like the way you played it after. On 5th if he hits the 2 and you put him on making a low hand it's possible he paired here and makes the boat.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 AM

I think it's fine, with the only questionable play being the raise on 5th. Yes, I think you're almost always ahead there, but how often are you WAY ahead? Not very, I don't think.

Anyway, I think a lot of the time his bet on 5th is a semibluff with a pair and a draw (low/straight/flush). Then he hits open two pair on 6th, bets it because it's scary and he prolly thinks he's ahead. On 7th you beat everything but a boat for hi, and he's betting a very wide range of hands here, I think.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:40 PM

nh