Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

View Poll Results: BBV's recommendation:
Do the sensible thing and move down.... 5/10 six-max, 10/20 six-max, 20/40 ring, 400 PLO8 5 25.00%
It's called a bankroll for a reason... keep playing the same games. 1 5.00%
Follow the Jedi way... 30/60 six-max, 50/100 six-max, 100/200 ring and 5000 PLO8 9 45.00%
BASTARD 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Default ATo in BB - simple flop question

A friend and I were discussing this hand today.

Generic scenario - let's assume you've just sat down to a full ring table on Full Tilt.

You have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.
UTG+1 limps.
MP3 limps.
Button limps.
You check.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What do you do and why?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: ATo in BB - simple flop question

c/c shouldn't even be an option. just bet
Old 11-02-2007, 11:08 AM

I like c/r in this spot because it is likely Button will bet if everybody checks to him. I want to chase out UTG+1 with his two overcards, if possible. Even better if somebody also has a T.

And if it checks through it is no tragedy because even if a diamond hits the turn, somebody would have bet out their flush draw so you are probably still safe and now you face the field with a big bet. Of course it sucks if a J, Q, or K hits - but it is a relatively small pot anyway...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like c/r in this spot because it is likely Button will bet if everybody checks to him. I want to chase out UTG+1 with his two overcards, if possible. Even better if somebody also has a T.

And if it checks through it is no tragedy because even if a diamond hits the turn, somebody would have bet out their flush draw so you are probably still safe and now you face the field with a big bet. Of course it sucks if a J, Q, or K hits - but it is a relatively small pot anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this thinking, however, I tend to bet out because I want flush draws and overcards to pay.

I might expect to get raised by someone with a flush draw, and called by someone with overcard draw. I would reraise, believing I still have the best hand. Then make a decision on the turn, which will probably be betting out, depending on my read of the remaining players.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM

bet to 3 bet or check raise take your pick
Old 11-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Are you guys trying to make me cry? Why are people so afraid of betting their damn hands?

Checkraise? Who? It's a limped pot; what makes you think someone's going to take a stab? Just bet for the love of Christ.

Argh. This is so standard.

OK, I'll try to stop being grouchy. Continue discussing the merits of checking TPTK in a limped pot... maybe I will learn something. After all, that's... what... we're... here for.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys trying to make me cry? Why are people so afraid of betting their damn hands?

Checkraise? Who? It's a limped pot; what makes you think someone's going to take a stab? Just bet for the love of Christ.

Argh. This is so standard.

OK, I'll try to stop being grouchy. Continue discussing the merits of checking TPTK in a limped pot... maybe I will learn something. After all, that's... what... we're... here for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joker, just lock this thread for the sheer idiocy. Have we really degenerated down to this level of analysis, where there is no option of play other than the obvious?

There should be an exam to be eligible to post in Medium Stakes Limit.

Lock, lock, lock.....
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM

Next Week in Medium Stakes:

"Hey guys, theoretical question here: You're in middle position with QQ, and UTG limps. He is loose and bad, so you decide to just limp. Two more players limp and the blinds check. The flop is QJ4 with two spades. UTG bets. What do you do?"

First response: "I just call."
Next response: "I like this thinking!"
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next Week in Medium Stakes:

"Hey guys, theoretical question here: You're in middle position with QQ, and UTG limps. He is loose and bad, so you decide to just limp. Two more players limp and the blinds check. The flop is QJ4 with two spades. UTG bets. What do you do?"

First response: "I just call."
Next response: "I like this thinking!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Just this morning PJ i was talking with a friend and fellow 2p2er and told him about your LC post "What's going on in MLHE?!"

This one beats that.

My nomination for post of the year.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 PM

Hey - this was my contention all along. I thought I was going crazy since the person I was discussing this with is the guy who got me started in poker several years back, and I respect his thought process very much.

But here I needed a sanity to check to make sure I knew I wasn't losing it. The decision is very obvious to me as well.

Look at the poll though, there seem to be a few people who don't agree with us bettors.

I personally cannot imagine why you'd ever risk a flop like this getting checked through. You've easily got the best hand, so bet while you're ahead.