Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 AM

Default What do you think of this users avatar?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpr...part=1&vc=1

One of the micro regulars (via PM), whilst acknowledging that it is prob intended to be comical, said that he finds it "pretty sensitive stuff--an arab knocking a woman aside".

Is it really that bad and/or is it bad enough to warrant requesting that he change it?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: What do you think of this users avatar?

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpr...part=1&vc=1

One of the micro regulars (via PM), whilst acknowledging that it is prob intended to be comical, said that he finds it "pretty sensitive stuff--an arab knocking a woman aside".

Is it really that bad and/or is it bad enough to warrant requesting that he change it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats whats his face from the movie "300." Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see whats offensive about it, other than the fact that a woman is getting punched.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 AM

It's a funny avatar. No problem in my opinion. (And I'm more sensitive about misogyny than most people).
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM

yeah, it doesnt overly concern me but one of the respected regulars commented on it, hence this thread as a sanity check. I much prefer Brain's avatar LDO.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 AM

I know it's considered backwards in this country, but I find violence more offensive than sex.

I've removed similar avatars in the past after complaints. His should go as well. I'll take care of it.

edit:

Not that I don't think the avatar was funny. But everything's funny to me. I just think that if there must be a line, it's depictions of violence that would be most clear.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM

Mat,

I didn't think that avatar was offensive at all and think your decision is very strange given what types of things are allowed.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM

It's actually not strange for 2 reasons:

1) I have always, in every situation, removed a user's avatar as soon as one person complained. I'm 100% consistent in that regard. In the last four years it's happened less than a dozen times. If I got frequent complaints, i'd reevaluate my stance.

2) Pictures of violence, albeit funny, are worse imo than anything else I knowingly allow. But I would not have removed that avatar without a complaint. I would have chuckled upon seeing it.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Mat,

1) That makes perfect sense.

2) I think we just have different standards on what is offensive "violence." To me this avatar seemed more like the funny cat attacks baby clip than real "violence" but I will admit that I just glanced at it and didn't watch it closely.

3) I generally find a whole category of disgusting pictures (often poop/piss related) more offensive than depictions of violence. I also find pictures that are degrading to people (usually women) more offensive than depictions of violence. But, as usual, I'm fine to mod to whatever standards you put in place. If depictions of violence trump all of those in terms of inappropriateness for 2+2, then so be it.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:05 PM

thanks Mat for taking care of this. ozi.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

1) That makes perfect sense.

2) I think we just have different standards on what is offensive "violence." To me this avatar seemed more like the funny cat attacks baby clip than real "violence" but I will admit that I just glanced at it and didn't watch it closely.

3) I generally find a whole category of disgusting pictures (often poop/piss related) more offensive than depictions of violence. I also find pictures that are degrading to people (usually women) more offensive than depictions of violence. But, as usual, I'm fine to mod to whatever standards you put in place. If depictions of violence trump all of those in terms of inappropriateness for 2+2, then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I now just wasted a half hour watching cat vs baby clips on you tube. Most of which are not good but there were some that made it worth the time.