Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life

Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Brag: Lloyd Carr hopefully fired

[ QUOTE ]
this is the dumbest comparison i've ever heard

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok..why? I was just told that it was "standard" to fire people who lied on their resume? Is it standard or isn't it? Or is there a statute of limitations if the lie isn't caught immediately? So you are saying George O'Leary should be fired for lying on his resume by Bill Belichick shouldn't be. Call me confused. I don't get why it is ok for one person to lie but not another..especially when they do the same job.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is the dumbest comparison i've ever heard

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok..why? I was just told that it was "standard" to fire people who lied on their resume? Is it standard or isn't it? Or is there a statute of limitations if the lie isn't caught immediately? So you are saying George O'Leary should be fired for lying on his resume by Bill Belichick shouldn't be. Call me confused. I don't get why it is ok for one person to lie but not another..especially when they do the same job.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this was belicheck's initial interview with the patriots before he was ever a coach there, then yes, he should have been fired.

o'leary was coach of ND for all of a week before he was fired.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, yes, it's standard everywhere. WTF? "Fibs?" I had no idea there was such a strong "pro-lying on your resume" demographic.

If the degree and playing history didn't matter, why did O'Leary include them?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably included them because he wanted to keep his resume consistent. He obviously thought this would not be discovered. Do you believe he was hired at Notre Dame because he claimed to have that degree or that he played football at New Hampshire? I am guessing his performance at Georgia Tech was the reason he was hired. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the big question for you guys. If it is so standard that anybody who lied on their resume should be fired, what if it is discovered that Bill Belichick claimed that he had a degree that he didn't have on his resume? I assume you favor his immediate firing at the Patriots head coach? After all, that is "standard"...right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. O'Leary had hardly started.

In this case I would give Belichick a hefty fine, but not fire him.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if this was belicheck's initial interview with the patriots before he was ever a coach there, then yes, he should have been fired.

o'leary was coach of ND for all of a week before he was fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I am not saying that doesn't make sense, I was just curious as to what the standard was. So you are saying there is a certain statute of limitations that should apply on that sort of thing. I can understand that, but I still think it is really harsh to fire O'Leary for what I consider a misdemeanor. If we fired everyone who lied on their resume, the line at the unemployment office would be very long. I am guessing many 2+2ers have fudged a thing or two.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lost all respect for Notre Dame the way they dumped George O'Leary two weeks after hiring him then forced him to publicly apologize for meaningless discrepancies on his resume. I doubt that's standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:
"On the resume, O'Leary claimed that he had earned a master's degree from New York University when in actuality, he only attended the school but never graduated. He also claimed that he had earned three letters in football at the University of New Hampshire, when the school claimed he had not even played in one game."

Firing people who lie on their resume is very, very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most employers will perform due diligence prior to hiring a new candidate, particularly for such a high profile gig as this. Notre Dame held a nationally televised press conference proudly announcing George O'Leary as their new head football coach. It was perfect timing for the perfect coach with the perfect surname, and there were no second guessers to be found. Problem was that after Notre Dame "fired" O'Leary 2 weeks later, they resorted to the "babe in the woods" routine, pleading ignorance upon hiring O'Leary just days earlier. This smacked of total bs, as they could've easily verified background info BEFORE hiring the guy.

I don't know the real reason O'Leary was dumped by Notre Dame, but it didn't have anything to do with some insignificant bs from 30 years ago unless O'Leary was banging the Provost or something to that effect. Lying on his resume my ass - I'll bet he used that exact same "resume" at Georgia Tech, for the Vikings, and the UCF Knights.

Despite this embarrassing fiasco (embarrassing for Notre Dame, that is) O'Leary has continued his successful career while ND continues floundering year after year with marginal recruits...