Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: 2008 Seahawks

Man their "pass" blocking was so bad. According to FO:

Sea O-line

2006: 30 Running 28 Pass
2005: 6/9
2004: 9/7
2003: 11/28

Looks like in their truly contender years their pass blockign was pretty solid.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 PM

this is going to be a tough season for the Hawks. I anticipate drinking tons of beer.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mysteriously skipped over a couple of Dids' points. Namely, that the defense should be significantly upgraded. Two new starting safeties, Kearney in for the utterly useless Wistrom, Tubbs back, and some more DL depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were fair points. I'm not arguing that the Seahawks have upgraded their abysmal secondary and helped their D-Line.

Meanwhile, Alexander is turning 30 and W.Jones is going to be 34 in January. The key to their Super Bowl team, the great O-Line, is gone.

This is the cycle that most NFL teams go through. They patch up holes from the previous year, but meanwhile the rest of the team ages and gets worse. Seattle didn't add much young talent elsewhere to the roster. The teams that compete year after year after year are constantly adding lots of young talent to the roster. Seattle had, what, two first day picks and no first rounder.

Meanwhile, Arizona has a roster loaded with young talent. More importantly, Matt Leinart is entering his second year as a starter and should improve and they drafted (imo) a good tackle to fill a gaping hole in their O-Line. They also upgraded their coach and added the best O-Line coach in the business. San Fran also has good young talent and went on an absurd spending spree in free agency, adding some top-notch players.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think people who don't follow football/Seahawks realize just how much they missed Shaun and Matt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I do. I'm an Eagles fan. I spend every year watching my team play half the season without McNabb and/or Westbrook.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Here's something fun from outsiders that mentions San Fran, I'll post it here because I keep bringing up San Fran in this thread. It's comparing 1996 Jags (who upset Denver and reached the AFCCG) to the 2006-2007 Niners.

"Jacksonville, on the other hand, was a bit of a fluke, but a fluke that happened to be building with young players...Jacksonville’s actual 9-7 record was not much of a fluke, and the next season they improved to 11-5 and ranked sixth overall in DVOA. Anyway, this gives hope to teams like San Francisco who outperform their DVOA and Pythagorean projection. Usually, that is an indicator of a team that will fall back the next year, but you can counteract this effect if you have enough improving young talent."
Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM

A couple other points.

If the Hawks don't play 2 games with their dicks in their mouths, the 9ers season last year looks a lot worse. I'm comfortable saying that we lost those games more than they won them. I'm not ready to get apeshit about the 9ers. I find the Cards a little more scary (but I still think their line, even improved, is prohibitive of being good).

The Hawks line got killed with Spencer playing guard becaue Womack was out. When he got back, and Spencer shifted to center, where he's a potential future pro-bowler a lot changed. Pork Chop being out was a bigger loss than Hutch in a way, simply because of who got forced into action with him out.

Yes, Jones and Shaun are older, and Walter lost a step. However, other parts on the OL are younger, improving and solid.

Lofa's regression last year has a lot do to with Tubbs being out. Healthy DT = happy mlb.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you act like every great WR in the league is catching 70% of the balls thrown to him. 60% and up is really, really good for most WR.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is not a great wide receiver. He'd make a very good secondary receiver.

[ QUOTE ]
You act like the 49ers are really WR dependant.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I ever say that? Why would I say that after Gore ripped up the Hawks on the ground?

I know I've watched D-Jack his whole career here and I'm anything but impressed. He was about the worst prime target receiver out there. Ever really watch him play? Good luck with him.

b
Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is going to be a tough season for the Hawks. I anticipate drinking tons of beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching the Huskies makes watching the Hawks easier to take. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By mid-season you may be doing shots instead of beer. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

b