Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 02:21 AM

Default PLO8 ($100)...Aaaaaaaaaaaw Crap, DAMN THE TURN!

No reads on the villian...

I'm in MP and raise with A4T2, I think one suit...The SB calls as does the villian, both of whom have me covered...There is about $15 in the pot...

FLOP: 10 8 4, rainbow

A GORGEOUS flop for me...I lead out with a $12 bet...SB and villian call...Pot is now $51...

Turn a diabolical 2 of spades, putting 2 spades on board...The villian insta-bets pot...

MY READ: I would have bet every last penny that I have earned in my poker career that this guy had A3 with the nut spades...

What do we do here if that is our read? Do we give it up since we're being free-rolled or do we call since we know we have the high?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: PLO8 ($100)...Aaaaaaaaaaaw Crap, DAMN THE TURN!

Is SB still in the hand? Did he check the turn? If you are very confident of your read on villain, then your equity here is good enough to call his bet - but there are obviously a lot of non-spade cards (any A 3 5 or 8 off the top of my head) that would also be scary on the river and might result in either an incorrect fold on your part or a scoop for villain.
Anyway, given full stacks or deeper for both you and villain, I think I fold, but if either your or villain had only $80 or so to start the hand I call.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 AM

Instafold. Bottom 2 with no low draw on made low board = get out, like, umm, now.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 AM

The SB checked the turn and the action was on me before it got to him...I think the villian had about $200 in front of him, if memory serves and I had about $100-110 or so...

Yeah you are right about the scare cards, but I was absolutely positive on my read, because serious what the hell is he betting strong into me with? A set? Nah, on that board I see a check raise on the flop...A set of 2s, eh probably not since I hold one...A naked A3, even though I didn't have any definitive read I gave him credit for not being that stupid so really the only thing that makes sense is A3 with spades, most likely nut spades...

I guess I should probably give the results...The river came a non-spade 9 and he bet into me to put me all-in...He flipped A367 (with the nut spades) and scooped with the 10-high straight...I knew at the time where I was at, but I didn't know if I should call the bet on the turn knowing that this guy had the low half locked and was free-rollin' me on the high half because I really hate calling a big bet like that and putting money in when I know I'm only drawing for half...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 AM

I'm not stupid, I wouldn't think of calling with bottom two...I have 1st and 3rd pair...
Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Well, the results highlight the problem: it's one thing to dodge the freeroll if you're all-in or close to it on the turn, but in addition to that you risk expensive river mistakes if you still have significant amounts behind. Also, even though SB is going to fold this turn almost all the time, if he does call he may well have you beat for high.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Well I wasn't really worried about being beat for the high by the SB...Again I really feel with that board texture a set raises on the flop, I usually don't make a habit of playing sets very aggressively on the flop, but one such as this which is uncoordinated and rainbowed I'd probably consider it...The only hand he really coulda had to beat me for the high would be T8...

I gotta learn to listen to that little voice that was saying "FOLD"...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not stupid, I wouldn't think of calling with bottom two...I have 1st and 3rd pair...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, no, but apparently I am. Need more coffee before posting.

I still fold but 2 pair hates me like the plague and never holds up.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM

To continue past the turn you need to play the river perfect. Thats hard enough to do heads up, and you certainly shouldn't be raising to get it that way, so it's a fold unless you have some kind of read that he's on a steal.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:00 PM

No problem, I'm the same way...