Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Antisemitism thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. It has been made clear that giving people a chance to respond to anti-semitism isn't good enough. We must protect those unsophisticated enough to parse the arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go ahead and have to say this is totally [censored] weak. Like really, really [censored] weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
I clearly erred when I suggested you as Politics mod. Not only is this the law of the land, it's job #1 in Politics. Haven't you been keeping track of the ATF drama? We've been over this so many times it makes my head hurt. Mason has made at least a half dozen posts basically saying the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm sorry that you guys are clearly incpabable of seeing the difference between "screw all the black people, bunch of lazy stealing [censored] n*ggers" and "well historically people have said this and that about black people and perpetuated this belief by doing such and such".

Your argument is actually disturbing. You really are every bit as bad as the ACers claim. If Mason comes here and says the same thing, I'm not going to change my mind. On the hand, there is this condascending and absurd attitude that people might be tricked into racism if not for your saving graces. There there's the fact that you are using this innane policy to lock threads that overtly mention racism and racist concepts in an attempt at intellectually honest discussion, but you'll allow all sorts of bigoted statements continue on, so long as they are implied and shrouded in complaint about "PC liberals".

I can't figure out which is more infuriating, but in the future spare me the idiocy. You can continue to mod like this, but I won't stop complaining.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM

I have a "friend" that we can't say anything remotely bad to (joking or not) because he instantly thinks we are only saying it because we hate him. Boy is he fun to be around.

The point I think is that by taking some jabs here and there we would think more highly of him than we do when he just cries about every negative comment, so we don't do it. He has quieted all the comments, but lost everybody's respect.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM

This is so close it really shouldnt be an issue. Anyone who thinks what the posters were posting is fine is an idiot. Anyone who also got really offended is an idiot. It was all so borderline that it doesnt matter what the mods do in this case. There are reasonable arguments to be made for each case.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Obviously I disagree. This is not even remotely borderline. I find your position idiotic.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm with xorbie here. I faced a ton of real anti-semitism when I lived in Kansas City (more so than in Oregon or Georgia for some reason), and while it offeded me, it also helped me differentiate between actual harm and ignorant opinions. This thread squarely fell in the latter category and therefore xorbie is right that squashing anything in this territory is going overboard.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM

So we are just supposed to let posters who promote ignorant opinions continue to post? Because by doing so, you just create more ingorant people, who in this case will believe jews killed jesus.

Just because it isnt blatantly racist, even if the guy isnt racist, its bad because he believes it and writing crap like that makes others believe it.

Letting it slide is really really bad, and imo is how societies get to the later points where you wonder where it all went wrong.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So we are just supposed to let posters who promote ignorant opinions continue to post?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we didn't do this, there wouldn't be an OOT, an EDF, a BBV4L...

75% of those forums involve posters spouting ignorant opinions. Let the discussion happen and reason will show its face.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is so close it really shouldnt be an issue. Anyone who thinks what the posters were posting is fine is an idiot. Anyone who also got really offended is an idiot. It was all so borderline that it doesnt matter what the mods do in this case. There are reasonable arguments to be made for each case.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was borderline, thats why I didn't lock it immediately, and decided to see where it went. I didn't like were it was going, so I locked it.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So we are just supposed to let posters who promote ignorant opinions continue to post?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we didn't do this, there wouldn't be an OOT, an EDF, a BBV4L...

75% of those forums involve posters spouting ignorant opinions. Let the discussion happen and reason will show its face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reason rarely shows its face when discussing certain issues.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So we are just supposed to let posters who promote ignorant opinions continue to post? Because by doing so, you just create more ingorant people, who in this case will believe jews killed jesus.

Just because it isnt blatantly racist, even if the guy isnt racist, its bad because he believes it and writing crap like that makes others believe it.

Letting it slide is really really bad, and imo is how societies get to the later points where you wonder where it all went wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man.. seriously. This is a forum on the internet, we aren't framing foreign policy for the coming millenium here.

Are we supposed to lock any topic that says "I think 9/11 is a conspiracy"? How about "Governments are all evil, go anarchism"? How about "Affirmative action is a morally bankrupt public policy"?

There's misinformaiton in probably every thread in Politics. It's on the news, it's in every crevice of the internet. Trust me that shutting down selective threads isn't going to help anything.

The added irony of only shutting down threads about racism against a group of people who supposedly are over-zealous in pointing out racism against them isn't lost on me, and I'm sure it's not lost on others.