Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-24-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Chargers\' DE Igor Olshansky\'s Interview

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He should have been suspended. There is no excuse for blatantly trying to hurt someone like that. What Nalen did was was every bit as dirty as what Albert Haynesworth did. Nalen shouldn't actually have to hurt someone to get suspended, blatantly trying should be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't have been suspended because, while the block was dirty, it was part of the play. That play was a spike with an option for Plummer to fake spike it and throw if the D isn't at all playing.
The hit was late and an example of what Olifstanalatisofsky was talking about (Denver's line being cheap) but it wasn't as bad as Haynesworth's move (partly because I understand hits like this are like an NFL unwritten rule-Bad [censored] goes on in the trenches).

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
If that was part of the play then how come no other lineman did anything at all? That was dirty as hell and to act like it wasn't is foolish. The only reason he didn't get suspended was because he didn't actually hurt anyone. Intent should be enough.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Chargers\' DE Igor Olshansky\'s Interview

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He should have been suspended. There is no excuse for blatantly trying to hurt someone like that. What Nalen did was was every bit as dirty as what Albert Haynesworth did. Nalen shouldn't actually have to hurt someone to get suspended, blatantly trying should be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't have been suspended because, while the block was dirty, it was part of the play. That play was a spike with an option for Plummer to fake spike it and throw if the D isn't at all playing.
The hit was late and an example of what Olifstanalatisofsky was talking about (Denver's line being cheap) but it wasn't as bad as Haynesworth's move (partly because I understand hits like this are like an NFL unwritten rule-Bad [censored] goes on in the trenches).

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
If that was part of the play then how come no other lineman did anything at all? That was dirty as hell and to act like it wasn't is foolish. The only reason he didn't get suspended was because he didn't actually hurt anyone. Intent should be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they heard the whistle, maybe they saw the spike and he didn't. I'm not sure why, as I wasn't there, but I know that one of their Wide outs was in the process of running a route so it seems pretty likely that it was a play (that and Shanahan said that it was and I'll take his word combined with the tape until I have reason otherwise).

I'm not saying that alot of these chopblocks and cut blocks are legal, or even that they shouldn't be punished. But I am saying that Cleeting a players bare head as he lays defenseless after a play =/= throwing a low block during a play.

Cody